-
Senior Member
registered user
how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Hello, I am trying to install a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve. It seems that this type of file depends on QT, but even after downloading the version that contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
-
apt-getting or kliking it would be easiest IMO.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Save yourself a whole bunch of headache. Deb package for sfype is available here: http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debia.../skype-static/
Use .deb package whenever possible, google for the package name then search within results for .deb.
-
Rats, forgot that skype wasn't in the debian repositories. Anyway have a look at http://www.apt-get.org/ when you can't find a package from debian. There's a lot of stuff there.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'll try that. I will keep You posted!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes!!! http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debia.../skype-static/ works flawless!!! Thank You. Now what I have to do to put a Skype icon on my panel? It will be much easier thatn "RUN".
Thank You.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
To create a desktop icon:
Rt click on desktop, choose create new then link to application. The minimum you need to fill in is the application name & rename the link (otherwise it will just say 'link to application'). To add an icon click on the icon box on the general properties tab. You can edit properties again later if necessary.
OR,
if the application is list in the start menu, drag'n'drop copy the entry from the start menu to the desktop. Sometimes this will work better, sometimes the application runs through a startup file rather than directly starting the application.
Unlike windows, Linux can use many formats for icon files, jpg & png being the most common. This means you can easily create your own icons if there is none available. For instance you could clip a picture of yourself from a photo (using gimp image editor) or a logo from a website from a screenshot then resize it to use a desktop icon.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
Hello, I am trying to install
a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but
with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX
says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve.
It seems that this type of file depends on QT,
but even after downloading the version that
contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
What command did you use initially, out of curiosity.
A ".tar.bz2" extension suggests a tar file, thats
been deflated using "bzip2".
It should just be a matter of doing...
] tar -jxf filename.tar.bz2
If it was deflated using "gzip", then you would do,
] tar -zxf filename.tar.bz
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
jm
-
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...

Originally Posted by
jjmac
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
I usually add the v option. The command would look:
Code:
tar -[z|j]vtf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
BTW, when you save your configuration to a persistent media, it is compressed with the bz2 extension.
--GN
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...

Originally Posted by
jjmac

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
Hello, I am trying to install
a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but
with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX
says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve.
It seems that this type of file depends on QT,
but even after downloading the version that
contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
What command did you use initially, out of curiosity.
A ".tar.bz2" extension suggests a tar file, thats
been deflated using "bzip2".
It should just be a matter of doing...
] tar -jxf filename.tar.bz2
If it was deflated using "gzip", then you would do,
] tar -zxf filename.tar.bz
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
jm
I have used: ?tar xjvf skype-version.tar.bz2?. Just what the skype web site says. Strange isn't it. It seems that the software needs QT 3.2. I have downloaded even the version that has it... some story.
Similar Threads
-
By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By Bukowski in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500
$19.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99