Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cannot type anything at boot prompt !

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8

    Cannot type anything at boot prompt !

    When I boot from CDROM (ISO-image V3.6) and I arrive at boot prompt I see the following :

    I only have a white screen with at the bottom :

    Press F2 or F3 for further help.
    boot :

    Note : I only see these 2 lines at the bottom of my screen. The upper part is a white screen.

    However, when I want to type knoppix myconfig-scan, I do not see anything appearing at the boot prompt.
    Pressing F2 or F3 : no response.
    Typing anything else : Nothing at the screen.
    Typing ENTER key : no response.

    After a time, the system starts loading knoppix automatically. Once booted, I can work normally with Knoppix, meaning surfing, ....
    I can also save my config to a floppy, but since I cannot type anything at boot prompt, I cannot use my saved settings, since I cannot type "myconfig =scan" .

    When I take my CD to another machine, I can type at boot prompt and it works correctly, so my ISO image on my CD is correct.
    I also have the same behaviour when I use Knoppix 3.4 CD-ISO-image.

    So I have following questions :
    1. What can I do in order to be able to "tell" knoppix to use my config on a floppy without being able to type anything at my boot prompt ?
    2. Is there a way that Knoppix automatically starts to use the config of the floppy without typing " knoppix myconfig=scan" at the prompt ?
    3. where can I find info on remastering the ISO image, so it automatically will look for the configuration on the floppy ?

    Some info of my configuration :
    1 Desktop PC containing win XP, having :
    1 HD + 1 floppy
    1 DVD RW reader/writer
    1 CDROM-reader
    Samsung Flat screen : (perhaps this is the reason I only see a white screen at boot prompt, but this does not explain why I cant type anyting at boot prompt)

    Using DVD or CDROM drive results in same behaviour.

    Tnx in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Do you by any chance have a USB keyboard?
    If yes, try a PS/2 one.
    Don't think the TFT has anything to do with it as I have one as well and it works just fine. I use a vsync=60 cheatcode with it though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8
    I do NOT have a USB keyboard, although your remark is interesting.

    I verified twice : I have a PS/2 connection.


    What now ?

    tnx for your reaction.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, that was actually my best and only bet.
    If you have a usb keyboard, might as well try it. Same thing if you have a PS/2 -> something adapter, plug it in and have a go.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Prompt Loop
    By adamwest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 can't get to boot prompt
    By abbynormal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 03:24 AM
  3. Howto Get KDE login prompt at boot?
    By erp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:26 AM
  4. Boot Prompt command to recognize (hde)?
    By e.newed in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
  5. System Type-(0F) Boot Error
    By Kymira in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.01



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00