Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mysql with databases on HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Mysql with databases on HDD

    Hi,

    I need some help with using MySQL databases from Knoppix CD. There were some problems with my linux box because of which it has become unbootable. I am trying to salvage the data (some html/php files and MySQL databases). I can boot using Knoppix CD and can access all my data on hda3 after mounting it. I can even start mysqld both from /mnt/hda3/etc/init.d/ as well as /etc/init.d/. The problem is that both instances read only the databases in /var/lib while my databases are on /mnt/hda3/var/lib. If I do chroot, mysqld won't even start. If I move my database files into /var/lib/mysql from /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql, mysqld dies as soon as I start it. I tried changing the datadir in my.cnf but it didn't help.

    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.

    Could someone please help me out?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    The mysql versions might be too different.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126

    Re: Mysql with databases on HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by sbb
    Hi,

    I need some help with using MySQL databases from Knoppix CD. There were some problems with my linux box because of which it has become unbootable. I am trying to salvage the data (some html/php files and MySQL databases). I can boot using Knoppix CD and can access all my data on hda3 after mounting it. I can even start mysqld both from /mnt/hda3/etc/init.d/ as well as /etc/init.d/. The problem is that both instances read only the databases in /var/lib while my databases are on /mnt/hda3/var/lib. If I do chroot, mysqld won't even start. If I move my database files into /var/lib/mysql from /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql, mysqld dies as soon as I start it. I tried changing the datadir in my.cnf but it didn't help.

    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.

    Could someone please help me out?

    Thanks!
    Could try something like this as root
    rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
    cp -rp /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql /var/lib
    mysqld_safe &

    then
    # Back up data to USB device.

    modprobe usb-storage
    mkdir /mnt/usbstore
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstore
    mysqldump --opt -u root databasename > /mnt/usbstore/databasename.sql
    umount /mnt/usbstore

    Regards Mark

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: Mysql with databases on HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by sbb
    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.
    There are many ways of doing this:

    a. The most obvious one is to copy the files from one server to the other
    b. If you still want to do a mysqlump, there is a command line option to set the configuration file to use. In that configuratio file you can specify where the data files are
    c. Make sure that the mysql.socket file is pointing to a rw location (that might have been your problem when it didn't start).
    d. Start the MySQL server in 'console' mode.

    Most of the time you should use a mysqld_safe script that does some housekeeping for you just in case. You can check all these options by using mysqld --help, the text will be version specific.

    Check http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Up...g-to-arch.html for some information in how copy databases between servers.
    Check http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Starting_server.html as a starting point to troubleshooting.

    The mysql versions might be too different.
    The datafiles are backward and forward compatible, check

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. using Knoppix to access existing mysql databases
    By kennmurrah in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
  2. MySQL
    By mzee in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
  3. Databases
    By tux_edo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
  4. [MySQL] Export a DB From PHPMyAdmin to /var/lib/mysql
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
  5. Get me going with MySQL
    By Terry@nz in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99