Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mysql with databases on HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Mysql with databases on HDD

    Hi,

    I need some help with using MySQL databases from Knoppix CD. There were some problems with my linux box because of which it has become unbootable. I am trying to salvage the data (some html/php files and MySQL databases). I can boot using Knoppix CD and can access all my data on hda3 after mounting it. I can even start mysqld both from /mnt/hda3/etc/init.d/ as well as /etc/init.d/. The problem is that both instances read only the databases in /var/lib while my databases are on /mnt/hda3/var/lib. If I do chroot, mysqld won't even start. If I move my database files into /var/lib/mysql from /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql, mysqld dies as soon as I start it. I tried changing the datadir in my.cnf but it didn't help.

    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.

    Could someone please help me out?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    The mysql versions might be too different.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126

    Re: Mysql with databases on HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by sbb
    Hi,

    I need some help with using MySQL databases from Knoppix CD. There were some problems with my linux box because of which it has become unbootable. I am trying to salvage the data (some html/php files and MySQL databases). I can boot using Knoppix CD and can access all my data on hda3 after mounting it. I can even start mysqld both from /mnt/hda3/etc/init.d/ as well as /etc/init.d/. The problem is that both instances read only the databases in /var/lib while my databases are on /mnt/hda3/var/lib. If I do chroot, mysqld won't even start. If I move my database files into /var/lib/mysql from /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql, mysqld dies as soon as I start it. I tried changing the datadir in my.cnf but it didn't help.

    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.

    Could someone please help me out?

    Thanks!
    Could try something like this as root
    rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
    cp -rp /mnt/hda3/var/lib/mysql /var/lib
    mysqld_safe &

    then
    # Back up data to USB device.

    modprobe usb-storage
    mkdir /mnt/usbstore
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstore
    mysqldump --opt -u root databasename > /mnt/usbstore/databasename.sql
    umount /mnt/usbstore

    Regards Mark

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: Mysql with databases on HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by sbb
    All I want to do is backup (mysqldump) a couple of databases and move them over to a new host.
    There are many ways of doing this:

    a. The most obvious one is to copy the files from one server to the other
    b. If you still want to do a mysqlump, there is a command line option to set the configuration file to use. In that configuratio file you can specify where the data files are
    c. Make sure that the mysql.socket file is pointing to a rw location (that might have been your problem when it didn't start).
    d. Start the MySQL server in 'console' mode.

    Most of the time you should use a mysqld_safe script that does some housekeeping for you just in case. You can check all these options by using mysqld --help, the text will be version specific.

    Check http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Up...g-to-arch.html for some information in how copy databases between servers.
    Check http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Starting_server.html as a starting point to troubleshooting.

    The mysql versions might be too different.
    The datafiles are backward and forward compatible, check

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. using Knoppix to access existing mysql databases
    By kennmurrah in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
  2. MySQL
    By mzee in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
  3. Databases
    By tux_edo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
  4. [MySQL] Export a DB From PHPMyAdmin to /var/lib/mysql
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
  5. Get me going with MySQL
    By Terry@nz in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99