In the menu under system there should be an option for user manager.
From there you should be able to add users and change auto-logins.
Hiyall,
I've installed Knoppix 3.6 on my hD, Its running fine but I cannot add another user and I dont have a log-in manager.
It always goes to the default knopix user. I tried adding a user (which I did) but it still doesn't give me a choice who will log-in. Please help because I want to add my kids to have their own desktop and can only have their own file. Thanks in advance![]()
In the menu under system there should be an option for user manager.
From there you should be able to add users and change auto-logins.
Perhaps this will help: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14324
whilst were on the topic of logins my knoppix keeps loggin me in as "knoppix"
how do i change over to root
also i dont know the root password thats suppose to be used
thanks
in a console makes you root, orCode:sudo suruns qtparted as root.Code:sudo qtparted
if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.
Not recommended.Code:sudo passwd root
With Knoppix, if you really need to become root in a console all that is needed is 'su'; no password is needed.Originally Posted by OErjan
But setting a root password IS recommended, it adds security and there are some things which will not run as nopassword root for instance 'kdesu'.
An example: If you expect to use your text editor to edit a lot of config files which must be done as root (eg perhaps you want to edit lilo.conf, fstab, XF86Config-4) to make it easier to use Kate as your editior drag'n'drop copy the 'Kate' entry from the start menu to the desktop, then change to appliction to run to 'kdesu kate' instaed of just 'kate'. This will start kate as root but you will be prompted for a password first and it will not accept a null password.
'sudo passwd root' will work to set root password but all that's required is 'sudo passwd'.
Thank you very much to all!
CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.
Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).
Oh, you didn't do a debain still install, but rather, more of a PMI.Originally Posted by Drool King
Sorry, try this link instead.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=10
(It is the link from within the other post)
Note, I have not actually tried this, although I have a Knoppix-style install, I have no need for a different user. but I did run across the info & it looked like it should work.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99