Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PLiz help! NuBy! need to know how I can have a login manager

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    PLiz help! NuBy! need to know how I can have a login manager

    Hiyall,

    I've installed Knoppix 3.6 on my hD, Its running fine but I cannot add another user and I dont have a log-in manager.
    It always goes to the default knopix user. I tried adding a user (which I did) but it still doesn't give me a choice who will log-in. Please help because I want to add my kids to have their own desktop and can only have their own file. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    In the menu under system there should be an option for user manager.

    From there you should be able to add users and change auto-logins.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9
    whilst were on the topic of logins my knoppix keeps loggin me in as "knoppix"

    how do i change over to root

    also i dont know the root password thats suppose to be used

    thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    Code:
    sudo su
    in a console makes you root, or
    Code:
    sudo qtparted
    runs qtparted as root.
    if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    Not recommended.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    Not recommended.
    With Knoppix, if you really need to become root in a console all that is needed is 'su'; no password is needed.

    But setting a root password IS recommended, it adds security and there are some things which will not run as nopassword root for instance 'kdesu'.

    An example: If you expect to use your text editor to edit a lot of config files which must be done as root (eg perhaps you want to edit lilo.conf, fstab, XF86Config-4) to make it easier to use Kate as your editior drag'n'drop copy the 'Kate' entry from the start menu to the desktop, then change to appliction to run to 'kdesu kate' instaed of just 'kate'. This will start kate as root but you will be prompted for a password first and it will not accept a null password.

    'sudo passwd root' will work to set root password but all that's required is 'sudo passwd'.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thank you very much to all!

    CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.

    Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Drool King
    Thank you very much to all!

    CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.

    Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).
    Oh, you didn't do a debain still install, but rather, more of a PMI.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Sorry, try this link instead.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=10

    (It is the link from within the other post)

    Note, I have not actually tried this, although I have a Knoppix-style install, I have no need for a different user. but I did run across the info & it looked like it should work.

Similar Threads

  1. Systems and Administration - Login Manager
    By reyesdb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 02:44 PM
  2. Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager
    By shplad in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
  3. Login Manager - How to set?
    By linux_Fred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 03:23 PM
  4. pliz HELP newbie problems in dsl
    By italianknopfans in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
  5. want to make gdm default login manager my own live cd
    By gmwest5 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-13500 2.5GHz/4.8GHz Boost 14-Core SRMBM LGA1700 Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-13500 2.5GHz/4.8GHz Boost 14-Core SRMBM LGA1700 Desktop Processor

$165.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99