-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Nothing works as a user

Originally Posted by
fannymites
After installing both Knoppix and Kanotix to hard drive, I'm finding with both of them I struggle to get anything working when logged in as a user.
I'm getting identical problems in both -
No sound effect/sound scheme but music players work.
When trying to connect to the internet via my dial-up modem, I either get a message saying unable to open modem or it be starts and gets as far as initializing but then it just freezes.
When trying to run Firefox or Thunderbird they are asking me to create a new profile (even though I have copied one across from a previous install) but when I try to create them it says I don't have write access to my home folder.
On both Kanotix and Knoppix, I'm using the user created during the (Debian style) install and on both everything works perfectly when logged in as root.
I've tried creating new users but I can't seem to do anything at all then.
I'm really at the end of my tether with this. If I can't get it sorted soon I'm just going to have to delete the user accounts and run as root all the time.
[EDIT] Apologies, although it does mention my modem, I actually meant to post this in the general forum.
Sound: In Knoppix see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604
Kanotix is easier, I think the knotifyrc file is already OK. For both, you may have to run kmix & turn the volume up.
Modem: Knoppix: I use kppp, once I have the modem found & configured, I have not had any problem, just do the account setup in kppp. I have a winmodem, kanotix already has ltmodem installed, just run 'detect-modem.sh'. For knoppix, you will have to install ltmodem if you have a winmodem.
To log in as different user with Knoppix style install, see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=10
The write access problem may be that if you copied configuration files from another install, perhaps the config file permissions are still set for that other install (different user names?).
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM
-
By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX4300 EX4300-48MP 48-port PoE+ Switch.
$914.08

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99