Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Kanotix - how do I install?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Kanotix - how do I install?

    I've seen lots of talk on these forums that Kanotix is a good choice for a Live CD distro that installs with few problems. But I booted it up tonight with the intent of putting it (at least for a little while) on a hard drive. But I can't find anything in the menus to get me started installing it. Heck, I can't even find stuff in the menu for a persistant home directory or configuration files like Knoppix has. Can someone who recommends Kanotix for hard drive install point me in the right direction for the information to install it?

    P.S. I'm using a version 9 (9-2004-A) release that I burned a month or so ago. Still have not downloaded 10 yet, if that makes any difference.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    Try looking again for saving configuration and setting up a persistent home. I think it's in the Knoppix subfolder on the side bar of Kanotix.

    Try the Kanotix forum for HD install.

    drb

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    sudo kanotix-installer-latest-web will download and run the latest installer. You can also use the installer already located on the disc: sudo kanotix-installer BTW I would suggest using GRUB and not lilo.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    36
    Another Kanotix convert, Enjoy!

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    sudo kanotix-installer-latest-web will download and run the latest installer. ......
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot at some point, but I just got Debain installed today from the Sarge "Business card" CD (minimal Debain that downloads what it needs from the internet. Hasn't gone very well, took 3 shots including the long download delays to et something up. Screen resolution isn't letting me set it over 800x600 (knoppix gets 1024x178 on the same box by default). No audio. The installation was also pretty frustrating, as I couldn't get it to let me really partition things as I wanted; ended up having to take the "guided partitioning" and use all the rest of the disk (small Win98 partition there).

    On the bright side, I was able to get packages downloaded, installed and running. And I was able to use the network features to open the network, go to another local machine and transfer files to and from the Windows system, something I've never managed to get working with Knoppix or Kanotix.

    So sarge is going to stay on the system for at least a few more days while I play with it a little more, then I can wipe it out and give the Kanotix installer a shot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Synaptic works great in kanotix. That's the way I upgrade. I usually only upgrade or install what I need,like Firefox and extra games, haven't gone for the big upgrade because it might cause problems.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    On the bright side, I was able to get packages downloaded, installed and running. And I was able to use the network features to open the network, go to another local machine and transfer files to and from the Windows system, something I've never managed to get working with Knoppix or Kanotix.
    If you're just trying to log into smb shares, your best bet is to grab smb4k. It always sees windows shares for me and is VERY easy to use.

    Adam

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10
    This is the best that I have tried so far. It works with my usb wifi at home (none other does!!). An Kano is fast to respond ... both in the forums and new releases.

    Try it and you'll love it

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    How can i install my kanotix?

    i have of cource some problems.

    with partition magic i made 2 partitions: one for WIN and one for LINUX
    it boots the CDrom but cant load ... the only way i can run kanotix is using the "fromhd=/dev/hda1" parameter (copied the folder knoppix to c:\ )




    If i run the kanotix hd installer it only show 1 HD (not the partitions) and it sais that the HD is read only.

    I really dont know what to do now...

    ps other live cds like slax, college linux are working fine

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot at some point, but I just got Debain installed today from the Sarge "Business card" CD (minimal Debain that downloads what it needs from the internet. Hasn't gone very well, took 3 shots including the long download delays to et something up. Screen resolution isn't letting me set it over 800x600 (knoppix gets 1024x178 on the same box by default). No audio. The installation was also pretty frustrating, as I couldn't get it to let me really partition things as I wanted; ended up having to take the "guided partitioning" and use all the rest of the disk
    See, this is where I don't really understand why people use the Debian installers compared to a live CD install? I've tried the latest Sarge installer, Knoppix, Kanotix, and Mepis. After varying degrees of stuffing around you can end up at the same point with a nice Debian (unstable/sid) based system. However, the live CDs get you to that point much quicker and easier than the Sarge installer. As far as I'm concerned, the modern and most efficient way to install Debian is via a live CD.

    BTW, I had that same 800x600 problem as you and I found that the Sarge installer was not installing the most appropriate X-driver. Kanotix and Mepis installed the correct radeon driver. I never got sound (alsa) going with Sarge. Also, I had fatal partitioning problems with the Sarge installer up until the very latest (RC2) which could finally see my disk correctly. So I suggest (if you want to persevere with Sarge), that you make sure you get the very latest version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
  2. Knoppix( or Kanotix) 3.8.2 or 4.0.2 install
    By jln_d in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 09:29 AM
  3. Speedtouch 330 HDD install issues (Kanotix)
    By hornet in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
  4. Kanotix HDD install prob?
    By lestat730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
  5. kanotix hdd install partition
    By arie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99