-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
markb
See, this is where I don't really understand why people use the Debian installers compared to a live CD....... the live CDs get you to that point much quicker and easier than the Sarge installer. As far as I'm concerned, the modern and most efficient way to install Debian is via a live CD.
You just have to read through the hdd install forum (and a lot of the posts about broken things in other forums that end up being about a hard disk install) to see why people do it. Yes, I like the look and feel of Knoppix much more than that of any Linux I've installed from an installable distro. Yes, Knoppix (and it's deravitives) does the best job of hardware detection I've yet see in Linux. But the one underlying truth is that Knoppix is a mix of stable, testing and unstable, and maybe even with some other stuff thrown in too. It's well tuned for running from a Live CD. But from all I can see it does not work as well when installed to a hard disk.
I'm frequently seeing posts about things like basic internet access that worked find when running from the CD but broke when the CD was installed to hard disk. And from what I have read if you try to update all of your packages once you have Knoppix installed to HD things will break down completely (implying that any update might break stuff). So while Knoppix is great as a live CD and a quick install to hard disk might seem attractive, many of use are asking ourselves if we want it done quick, or if we want it done right.
Similar Threads
-
By maxIT in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
-
By jln_d in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-23-2005, 09:29 AM
-
By hornet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
-
By lestat730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
-
By arie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50