Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Baisc Question about a Knoppix-Switch-Network

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Graz - Austria - EU
    Posts
    6

    Baisc Question about a Knoppix-Switch-Network

    Hi!

    I'm a newby in linux--networking, and before I spend time to try it out I wanted to ask if my "idea" works at all. (I already read some threads in this forum but I didn't find questions / solutions fitting for me)

    The mission:

    I have an old PII with two network-cards standing around - I want to HDD-install Knoppix (because thats easy) and add a DSL Modem on the one card, and a switch on the other. I have an other old win98 system (need that for an old scanner who has only driver support for win98 ), my main DualBoot WindowsXP / Knoppix system and a WinXP Laptop. I want to have network connection between the Windows Systems, and Internet Connection over the Knoppix "server" .
    (Right now I have the DSL Modem directly connected to my main System with two network cards (DualBoot WindowsXP / Knoppix) and the Internet Connection works fine when I connect other systems over a cross-over, but so I cannot be online with all systems in parallel)

    Did someone already tried out such a network? Are there tools in Knoppix already suited for that purpose?

    So basicaly the Knoppix "server" would have to ip-forward to and from the attached "clients" over the switch.... I've heard that this can be a problem for several Windows applications, because they don't like that... Or are there other internet connection sharing ways over a switch?


    Thanks in advance for any hints. I want to know if that will work before spending time and money for the switch.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Baisc Question about a Knoppix-Switch-Network

    Quote Originally Posted by pi8ch
    .... I want to know if that will work before spending time and money for the switch.
    Why not buy a home DSL/cable router with a built-in 4 port switch? These things are damn cheap (sometimes $10 or less here in the US after sales or rebates), will let you do what you want without having to fool with a second NIC in the Knoppix system, will let your Win98 box be on-line even if the Knoppix box is off or rebooting, and will give you the added advantage of an extra firewall protecting the entire network. And since they sell an awful lot of these things and relatively fewer switches without the router, the router with built-in switch will likely cost you less.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Graz - Austria - EU
    Posts
    6

    Re: Baisc Question about a Knoppix-Switch-Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Why not buy a home DSL/cable router with a built-in 4 port switch?
    I thought of that as well, but the specific xDSL account I have goes over the university network of my hometown, and there are some troubles with routers.... In addition I would like to let my Knoppix-Server run as simple Web-server, just for some low-traffic private purpose.

    Thats why I would like to experiment with that server-switch-clients structure.... BTW... A switch isn't that expensive as well.. There are some for 14 Euros....

    In fact I'm just interested if the internet-connection can be shared over the switch with some Knoppix / Debian configuration .... Connection from client to clients should be possible over the switch anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix, network, windows, switch
    By Guider in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
  2. PXE Network Booting question
    By trellis in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
  3. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. switch & hub question
    By regus in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory picture

Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory

$150.00



16GB Micron MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G3B1II DDR4 PC4-2400T Server Memory picture

16GB Micron MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G3B1II DDR4 PC4-2400T Server Memory

$59.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50