Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Which file to edit for configuring LAN

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Which file to edit for configuring LAN

    Hi,
    I have installed Knoppix to my Hard Drive. Since knoppix is based on Debian I followed the methods used to configure a LAN on Debian described on this O' Reilly web-page http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debia...k/ch10_02.html.

    It works perfectly when I use the "ifconfig" and the "route" commands. However I'd like to know which configuration file to add these commands to so that my LAN connection is configured at start-up. The file /etc/init.d/network is missing on Knoppix and has the file /etc/init.d/networking in its place. However adding the "ifconfig" and the "route" commands with the requisite arguments at the end of that file didn't help.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    /etc/network/interfaces
    man interfaces
    An example with eth0 brought up automatically at boot,
    using dhcp

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    wireless-no auto for either wlan0 or eth0
    use ifup and ifdown

    ------------------------------------------------------------
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_essid youressid
    wireless_channel 6
    wireless_enc on
    wireless_key XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

    ------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks a lot . It worked perfectly and I learned something new.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hey ghaze !
    What if I want af fixed IP-address ?
    I am getting tired of haveing til reconfigure my NIC every time I boot

    /KillerClown

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    What if I want a fixed IP-address ?
    It's in the manual page
    man interfaces

  6. #6

    Remastering CD

    I'm remastering a CD and it doesn't seem to ever run the /etc/network/interfaces file (my hard drive installation works perfectly) when I boot the cd. How do I get the CD to actually bring up the network properly (I'm actually trying to bring up a wireless interface)? I even tried to put a link to /etc/init.d/networking in the rc*.d directories but that doesn't work at all. Does KNOPPIX (when booted from the CD) even run through the rc* directories?

Similar Threads

  1. How to edit Menu.lst file?
    By aidata in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
  2. edit knoppix-autoconfig changes file sys to RO ?
    By bigal2000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 04:53 PM
  3. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
  4. you will need to edit the file "/etc/lilo.conf"
    By pat reen in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 02:13 AM
  5. How to edit the contents of .tbz file
    By probono in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 08:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$18.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015 picture

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015

$26.98



Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25 picture

Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25

$32.29



OEM Genuine Apple 12W USB Power Adapter Charger for iPhone iPad A2602 A2133 NEW picture

OEM Genuine Apple 12W USB Power Adapter Charger for iPhone iPad A2602 A2133 NEW

$21.55