Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: boot from cdrom and hd?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14

    boot from cdrom and hd?

    Hi there,

    I tried to install knoppix from cd to hd by myself.

    my hd partition:

    /dev/hda1 /boot
    /dev/hda2 swap
    /dev/hda3 the knoppix partition

    I installed grub on /dev/hda1,

    grub.conf :
    title Knoppix 1
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot_knoppix/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot_knoppix/miniroot.gz

    I did
    cp -f /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/boot/boot_knoppix/vmlinuz
    cp -f /cdrom/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz /mnt/hda1/boot/boot_knoppix/miniroot.gz
    cp -Rp /cdrom/* /mnt/hda3


    It works fine, I can boot knoppix from hd now.

    but then I tried to boot from CD, I found it always running on /dev/hda3, evn if it start from cd.
    It first load from cd, then when it run the linuxrc script, it always found the KNOPPIX from /dev/hda3 , so it

    mount /dev/hda3 on /cdrom , not i wanted /dev/cdrom on /cdrom

    I believe it has something to do with the /proc/cmdline :

    ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IM
    AGE=knoppix BOOT_IMAGE=linux24

    if I boot from hd, the /proc/cmdline:
    root=/dev/hda3 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi

    do I need to modiy the linuxrc to fix it, or I missed something?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    oh, it's not the cmdlin, it's the following code in linuxrc:

    DEVICES="$DEVICES /dev/hd?[1-9] /dev/hd?[1-9][0-9]"
    case "$CMDLINE" in *fromhd=/dev/*) DEVICES="$fromhd"; ;; esac
    for i in $DEVICES
    do
    echo -n "${CRE}${BLUE}Looking for CDROM in: ${MAGENTA}$i${NORMAL} "
    #if mountit $i /cdrom "-o ro" >/dev/null 2>&1
    if mountit $i /cdrom >/dev/null 2>&1
    then
    if test -f /cdrom/$KNOPPIX_DIR/$KNOPPIX_NAME
    then
    echo -n "${CRE} ${GREEN}Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at ${MAGENTA}$i${GREEN}...${NORMAL}"
    FOUND_KNOPPIX="$i"
    break
    fi
    umount /cdrom
    fi
    done

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Are you booting the Cd with any cheatcodes? If you just boot knoppix CD it *should* ignore everything on the HD & just boot & run from CD.
    The code section you have quoted should only activate if you have booted with a 'fromhd=/dev/xxx' cheatcode.

    Question? Why did you use this unusual hd install procedure instead of either the built-in installer script ('sudo knoppix-installer') or the built-in 'poormans install' (boot with the bootcode 'tohd=/dev/hda3'). The latter would give you an install similar to what you have except the entire install would be on hda3 and you would have to manually install your bootloader. You could then boot this from CD booting with the bootcode 'fromhd=/dev/hda3 or fromhd=/scan'.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    Yeah, I read the script again and it should check scd0 first. I must did something wrong. I didn't use any cheatcode, but I modified some bootup file. the answer why I do it this way is before I didn't know there is a offical way Now I want to go back to offical way, but everytime I boot it, it always go to the hd, so i can't even change it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    Now I found i can boot that machine with some old customised cd, my new cd has big problem .


    one thing I learned is if use grub,

    the config should be

    kernel /boot_knoppix/vmlinuz fromhd=/dev/hda3 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi
    ...
    kernel /boot_knoppix/vmlinuz fromhd=/dev/hda4 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi


    instead of

    kernel /boot_knoppix/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi
    ...
    kernel /boot_knoppix/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 lang=us hdc=ide-scsi

    then I can install two copy of knoppix.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14

    minirt24.gz drove me crazy :-(

    I am customising Knoppix 3.4 and the minirt24.gz drove me crazy I gunzip it , then mount -o loop it, modified it, then gzip it, copy it to master/boot/isolinux, then

    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "LABEL" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda2/knx1/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda2/knx1/master

    I noticed everytime i mkisofs, the isolinux.bin also changed.

    When I boot from the new cd, it loaded the linux24 and minirt24 without problem, then it do the "Looking for CDROM in ..." but can't find the KNOPPIX cd so it failed.

    The weird thing is, if i use the original minirt24.gz and make the cd by exactly same way, it can boot. then I put the bootable cd in a cdburner, load the original session, then add a new session, just use my new minirt24.gz and isolinux.bin to replace the original one, this time it can find the Knoppix in /dev/scd0 and boot successful, and it's using my new version minirt24.gz. ( I found my new script worked ! )

Similar Threads

  1. When i boot from the cdrom drive...
    By invader in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:11 PM
  2. won't boot: can't unmount cdrom
    By cerulean in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 05:11 PM
  3. How to boot knoppix with USB CDROM
    By menisk in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 09:57 PM
  4. Possible help if you can't get Knoppix to boot from cdrom
    By rickenbacherus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:12 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99