-
Senior Member
registered user
Trying to fixi FAT32 drive with gpart
// * * * * context of problem * * * *
I have a MAXTOR 6L080J4 Drive, which partition table I think I have
accidentally damaged.
I was in a rush trying to do some software stress testing with some
data in it.
The other previously existing drive on the cable was a 40 Gb MAXTOR
6L040J2 one.
As the OS was booting up, I could see the BIOS showing sometimes the
right info and picking up the drive and some other times showing
garbled info for the "Secondary Slave" drive.
I went to the BIOS to check the drive and noticed it was only showing
it as a 40Gb instead of an 80 Gb one. I noticed it was the RAID slot
and changed the 80Gb drive to the IDE 2 slot with the CD-ROM drive.
and then the BIOS was showing it always fine as a 80 Gb one and
Windows 2000 shows it to me in the explorer window and tells me "the
device is working properly" when I can not reach the data in it
So, apparently the OS destroyed the data or the FAT (instead of
refussing to take the other larger drive) without letting you know!?!)
._ I tried Norton Disk Doctor which tells me:
"Unable to access drive E:"
"The Volume does not contain a recognized file system."
._ if I try the to go "Properties > Tools > Check Now" and check (or
not) both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and
attempt recovery of bad sectors" the windows just closes when I click
OK
._ as a test I ran the evaluation version of PC inspector which shows
me all folders and file names just fine.
Since the disk is not making any noises or anything like that, I
don't think the disk has any physical problems, but only "logical"
ones.
// * * * * now the knoppix part * * * *
I booted my box using knoppix and the damaged disc attached
This is what I get from dmesg relating to the disc drive
. . .
HPT372: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:13.0
HPT372: chipset revision 5
HPT372: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
HPT37X: using 33MHz PCI clock
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6402B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: attached ide-disk driver.
hdc: host protected area => 1
hdc: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=155114/16/63
Partition check:
hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 hdc4
. . .
then when I ran gpart, I got (same thing for all 4 partitions):
root@ttyp2[knoppix] # gpart /dev/hdc
Primary partition(1)
type: 000(0x00)(unused)
size: 0mb #s(0) s(0-0)
chs: (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)d (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)r
// __
I think all I have to do is let gpart find the partition and rewrite it to the disc.
I don't want to be 'trying' things in a way that could further damage the disc's data.
WHat is it I am not doing right?
SHould I use a machine with a plain IDE (without RAID) to use gpart?
How do you do while fixing partitions?
Let me know if you need more info?
Similar Threads
-
By gplhl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM
-
By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
-
By s-m-n in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
-
By blackheart in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
-
By sepht in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99