Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: What Live CD would you recommand?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    What Live CD would you recommand?

    I have tried Knoppix and I like it but I have a few problems that I have not been able to fix so I am wondering what other Live CD would people recommand that I try?

    The problems with Knoppix that I have is that it does not detect my parrallel and serial ports, which makes me not able to get my printer to work, and the other is my modem is detected but I can not use it.

    What Live CD would you recommand in order to get these two issues to work? Thanks.

    EDIT:
    Also what Live CD would be able to open MAC floppy disk?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I would recommend kanotix, maybe BH8 or BH9. They seem to detect a few more things for me than knoppix after I hd installed both. I later went with kanotix because of that reason. Santa fe linux is also pretty cool. Can't hd install yet because that install version I don't believe is available yet. Mandrake Move Live got me to install mandrake community 10.1 to one of my partitions. Now I run Kanotix, Mandrake 10.1, Red Hat 9 and XP.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    Thanks, rrfish72. Do you know if Kanotix can open a mac floppy disk?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes it works.
    do a search on the forum on mac + floppy. i am in a hurry just now, sorry for the short "non answer".

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    las is rather nice. i cant remember mandrake move but it didnt seem that bad.

    helix is also good but because you can run it while using windows for forensic based stuff.

    i like to either mix las and helix or knoppix and helix

    helix has a built in vnc server so you can connect to it using las or knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    For a small 20MB download and CD burn, with SFS-KNOPPIX you get the cloop files via the internet from Japan. See SFS-KNOPPIX in NEWS forum.

  7. #7
    Guest
    Mepis. It is no easy to say which is better between knoppix or mepis.



    http://www.mepis.org/forum

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis...mepis/testing/

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    Without a doubt!

    I have downloaded and tried over 75 different Live CD's. I would recommend Stux over all of the rest of them. Stux is easy to work with even for beginners. Stux is the absolute best Live CD!

    www.gpstudio.com/stux

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    that cd looks kinda nice im goner test it out.

  10. #10
    ico2
    Guest
    damnsmalllinux.

    only 50mb, runs well with x and a nice desktop, easily extendible, etc etc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Whats the difference between a Live CD and a live DVD?
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
  3. Live-CD
    By som in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
  4. looking for a live cd
    By elcuco in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:42 PM
  5. live cd
    By mak468 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 400 Computer System  console with Power Supply TESTED and Working picture

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working

$150.00