Stux has a very nice built is installer. Most of the Morphix distros have installer also.
Bodhi;
I downloaded STUX again, this time from FTP and burned a new CD.
I was unable to get the boot prompt in order to enter the cheat code(s) again.
I conclude that my system is incompatible with STUX.
P.S. Tried running the CD in PIO mode 4, no DMA. Still doesn't stop on boot prompt.
The latest STUX CD gives crc error immediately upon uncompressing and halts. The original CD could boot up if I kept trying but no boot prompt.
I just realized something that might just be the cause....my system is on kernel2.6.9-1 and all data referenced to that kernel. The kernel in STUX is 2.4.22 and the handling could well be different especially at boot prompt!
Stux has a very nice built is installer. Most of the Morphix distros have installer also.
How do I access the installer? Would like to try it out.
Use the Stux mini desktop, select Stux, then control center, then select the hd that you want to install Stux to, ( on the left ) then select HD Install, (second button on right ), follow the instructions.
visit Stux forum for more info
http://stux.tetilab.com/forum/
One last comment...
I cannot load toram since the kernel in STUX is 2.4 and only 2.6 kernels will load toram.
I run DamnSmall Linux(DSL) off of a 128mb USB Key and its very quick/stable. I'd go so far as to say one of the easiest and best Live CD Distributions to use. It has automatic data backup / restoration upon shutdown/reboot to/from any device. Simply amazing.
The newest 0.9.1 release (yesterday, 12/20/04) has tons of great stuff...
Firefox (for starters)
Sylpheed Email Client, VncViewer, XPDF Viewer, Xpaint, xZGV, comes with Fluxbox and it looks nice.
Not to mention a "plethora" of extensions called 'MyDSL' which you just click on and it seamlessly loads them into your system, kind of like modules. And there are some great MyDSL extentions. Openoffice (for starters) sure can come in handy sometime. The Samba extensions make mounting local fileservers a breeze, and the hardware detection is QUICK and intuitive.
DSL even has a load toram feature to run completely off of ram (only if you have a lot of ram, please).
It is actively developed, and the userbase is friendly and helpful. Most issues are resolved on the forums on on IRC.
I come from a BSD background, and haven't actively used Linux as a desktop OS in more than 8 years. I'm very impressed. Enjoy DSL
http:///www.damnsmalllinux.org !! And Here are a list of extensible applications/libraries: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/dis...mnsmall/mydsl/
william
Atlanta, GA, USA
tronik;
My computer ia an athlon1900+ with 3Gb ram.
I entered DSL 0.9.1 through my sony CDRW 320E.
It loads to desktop x display.
Attempts to utilize ...system...network...netcardconfig are unsuccessful. The display flashes a window for netcard config and disappears.
What is the secret to getting a fixed IP installed adsl?
Re:
STUX LINUX Live CD.
Report from STUX forum says that STUX uses ..."boot floppy emulation" which is slower for installs and that Knoppix does not employ that system.
This probably explains why I cannot boot with a boot prompt display at start-up.
My cdrw is a Sony320E and is only three months old.
The "boot floppy emulation" is supposed to be for "older" CD machines.
I cannot boot STUX correctly with this CD machine.
Other computer boots with boot prompt just fine!!! Older CD machine!!!
Please ask @ www.damnsmalllinux.org forum, Im sure adsl is no biggie, but my config is laptop-> linksys wifi access point -> router -> adsl modem, so I cant help you. I have tried adsl/ics on knoppix long time ago, so I know it works.Originally Posted by lilsirecho
hi
knoppix did not recognize my ATI 320M onboard card, (have a presario 2143EA laptop, with mobileAthlon 2500 and 512 mb ram). it said that the card was supported on vesa (i am totally new so i dunno what thir means) but then it didnt load Xfree86(vesa) instead managed to load Xfree86(fbdev). Do u know id kanotix or stux (since i am in the process of dling both)support this card or any other live cd for that matter. Thing is knoppix is giving problems even if it loads because the colours arent proper and the display not liek the screenshots i saw.![]()
I've ony used RedHat 7 before and that was just for a few weeks, and it wasnt by choice. its only now that i am trying to use linux out of choice.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
2xM393A4G40AB3-CWE SAMSUNG 32GB (1X32GB) 1RX4 PC4-3200AA SERVER MEMORY
$690.00
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
LOT OF 4 SK Hynix 16GB 1Rx8 PC5-5600B-SAO-1010-XT Laptop Memory HMCG78AGBSA095N
$1498.95
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98