Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: What Live CD would you recommand?

  1. #31
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    Kanotix

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Colchester, UK
    Posts
    7
    yep i tried kanotix, works properly, no problems anywhere, and its got Firefox.... but it seems to similar to knoppix, i mean the logout screen shows 'do u wish to exit knoppix' or something like that, anyways its cool

  3. #33
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    kanotix is based on knoppix much like alot of live cds out at the moment.

    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

  4. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    I like Free BSD Live CD, working fine : http://www.freesbie.org

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    thank you for shareing that im using the freebsd live cd now its very nice. it didnt boot up first time with the default settings so i set apci off and it works.

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    As a developer, I like Pollix. However, it doesn't have MySQL with it.
    I have problem with Pollix and Stux: I can not persist configuration info (which I can do with Knoppix and Kanotix).

    It would be nice if in future Pollix would have MySQL and the capability of creating "/home" on harddisk and persisting configuration (like Knoppix and Kanotix).

  7. #37
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    pollix and stux

    Pollix does allow you to create a persistant home. Pollix is Knoppix based and you can create a home. I have mine on a 256 meg thumb drive. Stux is Slackware based and currently does not allow creation of persistant home on USB but you can save your configuration to a hard drive. Stux .08 is going to allow persistant home when it is released.

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    Hi Bodhi,
    Thanks for the tip. Could you please let me know what menu in Pollix I must go in to create "/home" on the

    harddisk?
    I use pollix-20040309.iso to create the Pollix CD, but it seems that the Pollix from that CD doesn't have the

    menu "KNOPPIX", in which I can find the menu "Configure".
    However, the lack of MySQL on Pollix makes it less attractive.

    I currently use Kanotix from the ISO file: KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX1.iso
    With this version of Kanotix, I have MySQL, and I can download Eclipse, JDK + NetBean, ArgoUML ... to do the

    software development.

    However it still has some problems:
    - The USB devices (thumb flass memory, external USB hard driver) are not plug-and-play. It means you have to

    plug them to the USB ports before you start Kanotix. In the contrary, in Knoppix 3.7, you can plug devices when

    Knoppix is already running.

    - I can not install RPM software packages with Kanotix, because the packages database is on CD, read-only.

    - I can run Tomcat4 and JBoss4, but can not run Tomcat 5 and Sun App Server 7 because of some privilleges

    troubles with JMS.

    - KGhostview of this version of Kanotix can not read Adobe PDF files (just blank documents appear)

    However, to play around, I think Kanotix and Knoppix are OK.

  9. #39
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    How to set up a persistant home on Pollix

    How to create a persistant home with Pollix.

    Pollix has 4 X-window managers; Fluxbox,IceWM,Twm, and Xfwm/XFce. IceWM is the default X-window manager. Each X-interface has different program menus. You can not access the Knoppix create a persistant home from the IceWM interface. (so far as I can see) You can access the program from XFce X-wnidow. Here is the steps I took to create a persistant home in Pollix.

    1. switch to XFce X-window.
    On the start menu select programs>windows managers>XFwm/XFce. The interface will change.

    2. Left click on the desktop an a drop down menu appears. follow these steps:select User menu>KDE>Knoppix>configure>create a
    persistant Knoppix Home Directory. The create a home wizard will launch. You are familar with creating a home so I won't bore you
    with the details.

    3.To go back to IceWM from XFce interface: Left click desktop and select User menu>Debian>windows managers>IceWM.

    I haven't had good result from trying to use the boot cheat for loading the configuration, so at boot just use the cheat for home:
    knoppix home=/dev/sda1 (or where ever you create it). I set up my desktops the way I like them first and then create my home, that way the configuration is saved the way I like it.

    Hope this helps.

    PS: Pollix does have mysql, go here to read the package list.
    http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/polli...ollix.packages
    I have never used mysql so I don't know how to access it in Pollix. I would suppose one would have to use the command line.

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    Hi Bodhi,
    Thank you so much. If Pollix has MySQL, I definitely vote to use it as a software developer CD.
    To use MySQL on Linux, one can run like this
    - Start MySQL server by using console as root, run "mysqld", or run "sudo mysqld"
    - Start MySQL client by using console, run "mysql". The schema one sees in the database will depend on the user privillege.

    However, JBoss on Polix is on the CD, so the "deploy" directory of JBoss is on the CD, and I can not deploy J2EE WAR files or EAR files in JBoss.
    If I copy JBoss to hard disk, it will have a lot of error with registering JMX beans and JMS when I start it from the hard disk. I don't have those problems if I run it from the CD (then I can not deploy apps) or run it from Window XP (which I don't like).

    Do you have any suggestion ?

    Thank you,
    Linh.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Whats the difference between a Live CD and a live DVD?
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
  3. Live-CD
    By som in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
  4. looking for a live cd
    By elcuco in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:42 PM
  5. live cd
    By mak468 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM picture

32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



LOTS of 2 Samsung 8GB (8x2 16GB) DDR5 RAM Memory M435R1GB4PB1-CCPSG PC5-6400B picture

LOTS of 2 Samsung 8GB (8x2 16GB) DDR5 RAM Memory M435R1GB4PB1-CCPSG PC5-6400B

$150.99



SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM picture

SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM

$1950.00