Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fundamental Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oxford
    Posts
    8

    Fundamental Questions

    hi, can anyone tell me please,

    (1) what does a subnet mask do ?

    (2) what is "IP forwarding",

    (3) "request broadcast response" ?

    do we normally need 2 & 3 ?
    [ im on a cable modem, into a wireless/ethernet router]

    (4) whats an APIC ? tia

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Fundamental Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    hi, can anyone tell me please,

    (1) what does a subnet mask do ?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...sk&btnG=Search


    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    hi, can anyone tell me please,

    (2) what is "IP forwarding",
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search



    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    hi, can anyone tell me please,

    (3) "request broadcast response" ?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...se&btnG=Search

    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    hi, can anyone tell me please,


    (4) whats an APIC ? tia
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ix&btnG=Search

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oxford
    Posts
    8
    thanks harry, i guess google is the place to go

    didnt realise it knew *everything*

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I see I made my point.
    Do a little reading, them come on back here and ask if anything isn't clear. Of course, I still reserve the right to answer with other links.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oxford
    Posts
    8
    ***google has a pile of stuff (even copies of my own questions), but mostly its all a jumble.

    wikipedia is far better on basic descriptions. im ok now on subnets and apic,

    and thought i could see that ip-forwarding and request-bcast should be enabled,

    but google showed some "experts" arguing either way. what dyou think harry ?

    ***incidentally have you heard of suse64 v9.2 having trouble finding inet ?

    i cant get it online, and neither can some others. thanks

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Don't forget to always check The Linux Documentation Project, for this topic in particular: 4.4 Networking

    --GN

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oxford
    Posts
    8
    yes im looking at that now gnarvaja,
    but i dont see anything about "request broadcast response"

    i have Cable Modem into Wireless Router then out to the mobo
    ABIT kv8pro onboard ethernet via rj45 (wLan not being used).

    so as far as linux looking at eth0 is concerned,
    does it think that is just dhcp ppp from doesnt_matter_where ?

    [dont have to tell it Cable Modem nor Adsl nor anything
    other than it auto-detects ppp on eth0 ?]

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    but google showed some "experts" arguing either way. what dyou think harry ?
    I've never had to deal with request broadcast response, so I don't know. I was going to write something on the first topic, what does a subnet mask do ?, but then I saw all of the other questions and realized if I wanted to at least start getting answers to them I would do a little poking around on Google and ask something more specific if I needed details. So I went ahead and got all of the links I posted rather than just write an explination of subnet masking that duplicated information that was already widely available.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalx
    yes im looking at that now gnarvaja,
    but i dont see anything about "request broadcast response"

    i have Cable Modem into Wireless Router then out to the mobo
    ABIT kv8pro onboard ethernet via rj45 (wLan not being used).

    so as far as linux looking at eth0 is concerned,
    does it think that is just dhcp ppp from doesnt_matter_where ?

    [dont have to tell it Cable Modem nor Adsl nor anything
    other than it auto-detects ppp on eth0 ?]
    Ok, I'm not a guru on this issue, but the request broadcast response is usually associated with wLan/DHCP, and I understand you're not using wireless. I would guess that your problem is between the Router and you eth card configurations. I use a wireless router with 3 PCs connected to it: 2 over cable, 1 over WiFi with no problems, so it should work fine.

    Usually pump takes care of the DHCP interface automatically. First make sure that pump is running
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep pump
    If it is not, you'll have to figure out why. If it is, play with the configuration parameters to see if the problem goes away. The man pages are not very helpful for your particular problem, so you (or any other curious soul) may need to dig into the source code for clues. You may also want to look into the router's documentation for clues in the way it handles the DHCP protocol. Before modifying any configuration file, you may try using ifconfig and pump interactively as root.

    Googling with the following string (include the "s) "request broadcast response" brings a lot of different messages in different forums on the subject. I didn't have time to browse all of them. It seems to me that this behaviour is tied to Windows DHCP clients and many Linux distributions have a hard time dealing with it by automatically. Googling with the string "DHCP protocol handshake" (do not include quotes this time) I found more technical information, but I'm not sure if you want to get your hands dirty with bits and bytes.

    I hope this narrows the search,

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. 2 questions please help
    By wayne in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 07:17 AM
  2. questions
    By OvA in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 07:55 AM
  3. Last two questions before i go for it.
    By tycapel7 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM
  4. X questions
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 05:54 AM
  5. I have two questions...
    By Hunkah in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.66