Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing Knoppix to MBR

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34

    Installing Knoppix to MBR

    hi,

    i just installed knoppix, however I installed LiLo into the fist partition, not the MBR. Now it doesn't boot without a floppy/CD.
    I already booted from the CD using "knoppix root=dev/hda1 noinitrd ro" to get the installed knoppix from hard disk.
    I also typed "lilo" at the command line, but it didn't help.
    How can I make it load from hard disk / install LiLo without having to reinstall it all?

    pascal

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Installing Knoppix to MBR

    Quote Originally Posted by sunpascal
    hi,

    i just installed knoppix, however I installed LiLo into the fist partition, not the MBR. Now it doesn't boot without a floppy/CD.
    I already booted from the CD using "knoppix root=dev/hda1 noinitrd ro" to get the installed knoppix from hard disk.
    I also typed "lilo" at the command line, but it didn't help.
    How can I make it load from hard disk / install LiLo without having to reinstall it all?

    pascal
    What you want to do can be done, but let me suggest a "better" (IMHO) solution. Download Smart Boot Manager and install it to the mbr. Then when you boot from the MBR you'll have an easy way to boot Linux, any windows or DOS partitions you have, the floppy, the CD, and maybe more. And you will not have to keep editing and reinstalling any LILO files.

    Another tool that can do this too is XOSL. I actually like it better, but it's larger and slightly more complex to set up.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34
    I now tried both boot loaders, however I don't get how to run "smart boot loader".
    A am quite new to linux...
    The other boot loader seems to be only executable under windows. I get Error messagess on XP that "the program is trieing to access the hard disk directly, which is not supported. After that both programs fail.

    What can I do?

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix
    By knopnoob2005 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 06:02 PM
  2. Installing Knoppix
    By GenneX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 11:59 PM
  3. Installing knoppix on the HDD
    By raditux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 11:18 PM
  4. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
  5. installing knoppix on HD
    By loji in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2003, 07:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99