Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?

    sorry, all in German :
    Suche eine abgespeckte Version von Knoppix 3.6,
    zum Laden auf einen memory stick von 256 MB,
    alleinige Anwendung : risikofreies Surfen und e-mail
    Auslesen im Internet.
    (einschließend die WLAN automatische Konfiguration,
    die Druckerkonfigurationn mit Treiber von Canon und Samsung
    und ein Startprogramm auf floppy zum booten des
    memory stick)
    zur Benutzung auf einem laptop IBM Thinkpad 600E.
    Ist ein derartig abgespecktes Knoppix sinnvoll und verwendbar ?
    Wer kann Koppix in dieser Weise zusammenstellen ?

    thanks, Hans

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?

    Quote Originally Posted by i2hhj
    sorry, all in German :
    Suche eine abgespeckte Version von Knoppix 3.6,
    zum Laden auf einen memory stick von 256 MB,
    alleinige Anwendung : risikofreies Surfen und e-mail
    Auslesen im Internet.
    (einschließend die WLAN automatische Konfiguration,
    die Druckerkonfigurationn mit Treiber von Canon und Samsung
    und ein Startprogramm auf floppy zum booten des
    memory stick)
    zur Benutzung auf einem laptop IBM Thinkpad 600E.
    Ist ein derartig abgespecktes Knoppix sinnvoll und verwendbar ?
    Wer kann Koppix in dieser Weise zusammenstellen ?

    thanks, Hans
    Mein Deutsch ist nich sehr gut, so Ich werde auf Englisch antworten ...

    My first tests were with a 64MB memory stick and everything worked fine.

    The memory stick is used only to store either (or both) your persisten home directory and the configuration. Unless you store all your email locally and it exceeds 256MB, you should be OK. At todays prices, I would purchase a 512 MB memory stick to be on the safe side.

    I finally settled for a 512MB Compact Flash card with a PCMCIA adaptor. I find it dangerous to have a memory stick 'sticking out' of the side or back of my laptop. This configuration is trickier because of the PCMCIA WiFi card, but everything works just fine.

    Tschüss,

    --GN

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    I don't read German, so I only have a vague idea of what the original poster was asking. In any even I'm runnning a Knoppix-based live CD in my laptop. I didn't want to risk resizing my NTFS HD. Since the HD is in the NTFS format and the computer has no floppy drive, I have my persistent home and configuration on a Lexar 512MB USB memory stick. This works very well for me, as it is a terrific pain to have to reconfigure everything everytime I boot into Linux.

    What I would like to know is if there is a way to increase the size of the ramdrive to the point that the CD would rarely, if ever, have to be accessed?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    How about installing a full working linux system on a bootable USB stick that you can write your data to? Maybe Damn SMall Linux would fit?

    TIA,
    AJG

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    How about installing a full working linux system on a bootable USB stick that you can write your data to? Maybe Damn SMall Linux would fit?
    I thought about attempting that too. However, I'd really prefer a more full featured distro. I've read bits and pieces of information--largely in German so I don't understand it clearly--about a boot cheat that will allow booting from an ISO image on an NTFS drive. That combined with my persistent home on my 512MB Jump Drive would be ideal--until I'm willing to back up everything an attempt to resize the NTFS partition.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by psterrett
    I thought about attempting that too. However, I'd really prefer a more full featured distro. I've read bits and pieces of information--largely in German so I don't understand it clearly--about a boot cheat that will allow booting from an ISO image on an NTFS drive. That combined with my persistent home on my 512MB Jump Drive would be ideal--until I'm willing to back up everything an attempt to resize the NTFS partition.
    I fully agree with you. I remember reading an article about booting from an ISO image on a NTFS partition but couldn't find it againg. Do you mind sending me the URL to the article in German? My German is limited, but I could try to understand. If it works, I'll publish the results here.

    --GN

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix nicht abgespeckt

    Knoppix "fullsize" gibt es für einen 1GB Stick.

    http://urd.kph.de/wiki/index.php/Knoppix_USB

    einfach mit dd laden!

    Viele Grüesse KPH

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: Knoppix nicht abgespeckt

    Quote Originally Posted by kphklaus
    Dass ist was Ich brauchte!! Vielen Dank!

    --GN
    PS: I hope my German holds

Similar Threads

  1. Flash Memory Stick a failure in Knoppix 4.02
    By dennyk858 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
  2. Flash memory usb stick and Knoppix 4.02
    By dennyk858 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 04:58 AM
  3. usb memory stick problems
    By alex stacey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. To mount USB memory stick (MAC format) on KNOPPIX
    By leone25s in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 02:56 AM
  5. Problem using USB memory stick
    By hgpuke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00