-
How Do I Add a New User?
Something happened on my 3.6 hard drive setup. My user's password no longer works. Before that happened I was having all kinds of problems with apps not working. I would like to just add a new user. I can log on as root no problem. How do I add a user with "power-user" rights as in Windows?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can add a new user in Knoppix with Kuser. It's under the 'Systems' menu item.
-
As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
-

Originally Posted by
jMon54
As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
Are you using the 'sudo' command?
-
jMon54 wrote:
As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
Are you using the 'sudo' command?
I'm not sure what you mean...
Here's what I did: I opened the console, typed 'visudo', then opened the sudoers file in an editor and made my changes. If I look at the file, the changes are indeed there.
-
Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).
-
Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).
from knoppix root I:
visudo
then i open the sudoers file with kwrite, edit and save
here's the file:
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
# Host alias specification
# User alias specification
# Cmnd alias specification
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
jMon ALL=(ALL) ALL
# KNOPPIX WARNING: This allows the unprivileged knoppix user to start commands as root
# KNOPPIX WARNING: This is totally insecure and (almost) makes knoppix a second root account.
# KNOPPIX WARNING: Never allow external access to the knoppix user!!!
#knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
-
Looks ok but how are you using sudo. Being in sudoers means you can do rooty stuff by adding sudo in front of the command.
Example: sudo nano /etc/lilo.conf
BTW, If you want sudo to work without a password you need to use: jMon ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL but take note of the warnings in the sudoers file.
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
-
By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

Ibm Computer Tower
$400.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99

IBM iDataPlex dx360 M4 with 4× Xeon E5-2680 v2, 128 GB RAM, 2× QLogic
$149.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$281.25