You must configure your network card. I also have dsl and that was one of the steps I had to do. K -->Knoppix-->network/internet-->network card configuration. That will ask you if you want to broadcast dhcp and something about access concentrator .... then maybe try pump at console to get it started. I had to shut my modem off and restart it before I had it configured. Try those steps to see if they help you.

When you boot the live cd then yes you have to do the cheatcodes, unless you save your configuration somewhere like to a floppy then when you boot the cheat would be knoppix floppyconfig. You also can save your configuration to a file somewhere else and then the cheat would be knoppix myconf=scan. Hope these help you.

If you do consider installing to hd then I would recommend kanotix. It is a devitive of knoppix and runs pretty much the same things but it is better suited for a hd install.