Google search for add a new user in linux
This is a good resource for adding users.
Google search for sudo
As found in google search Using sudo to add "power user" acccess.
I hope this helps.
James
Something happened on my 3.6 hard drive setup. My user's password no longer works. Before that happened I was having all kinds of problems with apps not working. I would like to just add a new user. I can log on as root no problem. How do I add a user with "power-user" rights as in Windows?
Google search for add a new user in linux
This is a good resource for adding users.
Google search for sudo
As found in google search Using sudo to add "power user" acccess.
I hope this helps.
James
You can add a new user in Knoppix with Kuser. It's under the 'Systems' menu item.
As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
Are you using the 'sudo' command?Originally Posted by jMon54
I'm not sure what you mean...jMon54 wrote:
As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
Are you using the 'sudo' command?
Here's what I did: I opened the console, typed 'visudo', then opened the sudoers file in an editor and made my changes. If I look at the file, the changes are indeed there.
Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).
from knoppix root I:Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).
visudo
then i open the sudoers file with kwrite, edit and save
here's the file:
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
# Host alias specification
# User alias specification
# Cmnd alias specification
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
jMon ALL=(ALL) ALL
# KNOPPIX WARNING: This allows the unprivileged knoppix user to start commands as root
# KNOPPIX WARNING: This is totally insecure and (almost) makes knoppix a second root account.
# KNOPPIX WARNING: Never allow external access to the knoppix user!!!
#knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
Looks ok but how are you using sudo. Being in sudoers means you can do rooty stuff by adding sudo in front of the command.
Example: sudo nano /etc/lilo.conf
BTW, If you want sudo to work without a password you need to use: jMon ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL but take note of the warnings in the sudoers file.

Dell PowerEdge T440 Tower Server 2x Intel Gold 5118 and 128GB 2400MHZ DDR4
$1840.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$225.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM
$2649.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99
Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56