Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How Do I Add a New User?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    How Do I Add a New User?

    Something happened on my 3.6 hard drive setup. My user's password no longer works. Before that happened I was having all kinds of problems with apps not working. I would like to just add a new user. I can log on as root no problem. How do I add a user with "power-user" rights as in Windows?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You can add a new user in Knoppix with Kuser. It's under the 'Systems' menu item.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.
    Are you using the 'sudo' command?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    jMon54 wrote:
    As a test, I modified the sudoers file (using visudo) giving a user the same rights as root - and I can open it and see my changes took, but yet when I am logged in as the user I still get prompted for the root password whenever I want to do anything the root can do.

    Are you using the 'sudo' command?
    I'm not sure what you mean...

    Here's what I did: I opened the console, typed 'visudo', then opened the sudoers file in an editor and made my changes. If I look at the file, the changes are indeed there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    Post the /etc/sudoers file and give an example of what your trying to do with the sudo command (syntax).
    from knoppix root I:

    visudo

    then i open the sudoers file with kwrite, edit and save

    here's the file:
    # sudoers file.
    #
    # This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
    #
    # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
    #

    # Host alias specification

    # User alias specification

    # Cmnd alias specification

    # User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    jMon ALL=(ALL) ALL
    # KNOPPIX WARNING: This allows the unprivileged knoppix user to start commands as root
    # KNOPPIX WARNING: This is totally insecure and (almost) makes knoppix a second root account.
    # KNOPPIX WARNING: Never allow external access to the knoppix user!!!
    #knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Looks ok but how are you using sudo. Being in sudoers means you can do rooty stuff by adding sudo in front of the command.
    Example: sudo nano /etc/lilo.conf

    BTW, If you want sudo to work without a password you need to use: jMon ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL but take note of the warnings in the sudoers file.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  3. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  4. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. Knoppix User password for "Knoppix" user
    By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99