Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: CD Burning Help

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    CD Burning Help

    Hi;

    What cd burning software is available in the knoppix 3.1.

    I found xcdroast( not a very intuitive interface ) and k3b.

    I used k3b to burn mozilla to a cd, no problems.

    However, when I tried copying( "copy a cd" ) my knoppix cd to a blank cd I got all sorts of weird problems.

    First k3b claimed that it could not read the cd in the cd reader/burner. Then it claimed it could not find cdrrao, yet its path was correctly listed in the programs set up. The error messages I got told me to specify a generic driver with the "--driver" option......yet when I ran "k3b --help" it had no such option listed.

    Any ideas how I can get k3b going for cd -> cd copying?

    Is there an easier/better piece of cd burning software already on knoppix?

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: CD Burning Help

    Hi, you *are* trying to copy CD's from an HDD-installed knoppix, right?
    Otherwise, unless you have two readers/one burner, your cdrom is locked
    because that's where knoppix itself is running from, and you probably cannot
    acces it the same time for duplication purposes.
    Just my guess, but I think it makes sense.
    Other than that, KDE also has the cdbakeoven software, but I don't have a
    3.1 knoppix copy handy to check whether that's included, sorry.

    BTW, does someone know where I could download the latest, greatest,
    stable and gnome-enabled 3.1 knoppix iso?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Nope .

    I have Knoppix installed on my hard drive.

    I also have a CD containing Knoppix ( I bought it from edmunds-enterprises, they download FSF, burn it onto cds, and sell it for about $1 plus shipping ).

    I have a dvd reader and a cd reader/writer.

    I tried copying my Knoppix CD to a blank CD.

    It didn't work, I got the error messages described in my original post eventhough I was able to burn mozilla ( just a file --> cd job ) to a blank CD.

    Steve

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Your problem is cdrdao isn't configured properly, I use cdrdao to copy cd's, as root in a console or terminal window. On my old slow system I have to copy to hd first them make the cd-copy, anyway I made a script called cdcopy that in essence is this:

    cdrdao copy --source-device 0,1,0 --source-driver generic-mmc --device 0,0,0 --speed 8

    do a man cdrdao and see what you need to do on your system, you'll have to set the devices, device-driver(s) and speed for your system.

    rock

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    cdburning

    Make sure the dev has generic-mmc. Also I got a similar error, I solved it by waiting for K3b to ask to insert a blank cd then I open and put a blank cd it and it worked. It couldn't detect a black cd.

    xcdroast is great you have to start it from su first. Then just copy the .iso to disk and the burn it to a new disk. Very easy once you do it twice.

    Bill

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: cdburning

    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx
    xcdroast is great you have to start it from su first. Then just copy the .iso to disk and the burn it to a new disk.

    Bill
    If you add yourself to the sudoers file (visudo in a root console) you can have root permission every time you run xcdroast very handy if you ever what to change settings. The line in my sudoers file:

    [edit] under the section - # User privilege specification[/edit]
    Code:
    stephen        HappyTux=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/xcdroast
    stephen=user HappyTux=hostname
    Very easy once you do it twice.
    lol

Similar Threads

  1. K3D burning
    By Guider in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:59 AM
  2. Burning The .ISO
    By Me1324 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:28 PM
  3. CD burning
    By sblacklord in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. burning to cd
    By InsaneLampshade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:36 PM
  5. Burning CD
    By squirebug in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$2500.00



Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor  Other picture

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other

$299.99



Vintage AutoCAD  2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code picture

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code

$144.45



LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic picture

LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic

$59.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Y2K Heritage Brown Leather 17” Laptop Briefcase Business Bag With Strap picture

Vintage Y2K Heritage Brown Leather 17” Laptop Briefcase Business Bag With Strap

$49.95



Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info picture

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info

$250.00



Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info picture

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info

$250.00



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88



Vintage 90s PC Intel Pentium, cards, no HDD picture

Vintage 90s PC Intel Pentium, cards, no HDD

$80.00