Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: no swap file/partition on hda...I need one but dont know how

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    no swap file/partition on hda...I need one but dont know how

    installed an additional 512 meg of ram and was very disappointed in the lack of performance. finally, I realized that I do not have a swap file on my primary drive. /dev/hda1 is the only partition on the drive and it is an ext3 format. Don't know why I didn't create one when I installed but I am guessing that is why I am getting such sluggish performance from 1 gig of ram. Would some kind soul give me a step by step in creating this swap? I did google it but there are some things I don't understand and I cant afford to screw this install up.

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    What is on hda1? You could resize it to get about 500 MB of space to use for your swap. QTparted and cfdisk are good for doing this. I like cfdisk. You can delete the partition and create one that is about 500 MB smaller and then create another one with that extra space and format it as type 83 (swap) or 82 I can't quite remember. Then you write to the partition table if you are sure that is what you want. I'm not sure if resizing on cfdisk will destroy data so you might want to check into that.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    partition resize

    hda contains my knoppix 3.6 hd install. I did not want to go resizing anything until I knew exactly what I was doing. this puppy rocks right now and it took me forever to get it tweaked. It is just sluggish and I am sure its because I dont have a swap partition.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Do you have any extra room on hda1 or is it all for your knoppix install? I did a resize with a mandrake linux partition program and I did my windows partition and nothing got damaged or nothing I can see got hurt. The windows just run the scan disk or check disk when it booted up the next two times and then never did it again. If you had extra room then it would be easy.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    hda

    it is a 120 gig drive with only about 29 gig being used by knoppix. Do I need to resize the hda1 (the only partition on the drive) to accomodate a 1024 kb swap? Are there any written instructions for the precise process? thanks for your time

    helios

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    In that case no resizing is necessary. Just boot to knoppix and from konsole type cfdisk, it maybe su then cfdisk to get root privs. At that screen there should be a rundown of your partitions. If you have only one then it should be there as your 29000MB. The other should be unused space or something similar. Just goto that and select create new and it will ask you for the size of the partition that you want to create. put that in then goto type and select from the list the linux swap choice, which I belielve is 83 - check that. When you enter that info in then you can write it to the partition table and there you go. The write choice at the bottom is the one that writes it to the table. It will warn you the data maybe destroyed but if you are not messing with the other partitions then nothing there will be changed. No resizing is needed because you have enough extra to do quite a bit. You can mess around with this and as long as you do not write it to the partition table then the changes won't stick, so you can exit and nothing will happen.

    I remember that I only can run cfdisk from my root account and not from any user.
    If you want more info an this google it, but this is what I know from using it quite a bit. This is all from memory as I am in xp now.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thanks fish

    I did the cfdisk and unfortunately, it reports that the entire drive is being used for the knoppix install. I found the link on google (in fact, several) on how to create the swap file. When I get the courage to try it, I will report back and let you know how it went. here is the link in the event someone else searches the forums for creating a swap file.

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_admin/x1762.html

    thanx again

    helios

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I keep saying this every time someone posts anything about partitioning having learned the lesson myself the hard way. If you are going to repartition your drive for any reason, take advantage of the opportunity & create a separate partition for your data.. Never keep your data on the same partition as your operating system; one major crash & your data is history. With Linux you have a choice, either create a separate /home partition or just use a separate data partition & symlink to it from your /home.
    For partitioning an existing drive, cfdisk is easy but can be destructive, parted & Qtparted can usually make partitions without losing any data.
    BUT, parted (and hence QTparted since it is just a gui frontend for parted) seems to have problems with the knoppix/ext3 filesystem so it may not work (search these forms for 'parted'). If all else fails, linux fdisk can partition the drive but will probably trash data.
    With any of them, run from the CD; you cannot partition a drive while it is being used.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:27 AM
  2. dont need partition to mount
    By Quite in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 08:35 PM
  3. swap partition
    By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. Help with swap partition
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:31 PM
  5. Must have swap partition?
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables picture

Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables

$74.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Western Digital WD Caviar WD200 20GB IDE 3.5in HDD WD200BB-75CLB0 picture

Vintage Western Digital WD Caviar WD200 20GB IDE 3.5in HDD WD200BB-75CLB0

$34.95



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00