Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Accessing my Hard Drive with Freeduc-CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Accessing my Hard Drive with Freeduc-CD

    I have no idea how to access my computers hard drive using the Freeduc-CD. Is there something I'm missing, or does the CD version not have that capability? I'm new to Linux, and I'm just trying it out with the CD version. Help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Accessing my Hard Drive with Freeduc-CD

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew629
    I have no idea how to access my computers hard drive using the Freeduc-CD. Is there something I'm missing, or does the CD version not have that capability? I'm new to Linux, and I'm just trying it out with the CD version. Help!
    I had a Freeduc disk once, in fact it was my starter introduction to Linux. I don't have it any more & I can't remember what it has for browsers etc.

    But:

    To access your harddrive (probably called /dev/hda1), open a terminal, then type 'sudo mount /dev/hda1' which should mount it as /mnt/hda1. Then use your browser, navigate to /mnt/hda1 & you should be able to read files. It will be mounted read only. Don't try to write to it if it is a ntfs drive (winXP) as linux can only write to these using 'captive ntfs'. If it's a vfat drive (winME & earlier) you can mount it read/write with 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1' & it is OK to write to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing drive connected to IDE card
    By TJ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
  2. problem accessing windows network drive
    By cli168 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:03 PM
  3. Errors accessing a flash module (emulates an IDE hard drive)
    By nico.g in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM
  4. Accessing the C: drive
    By KillYourRadio in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 03:48 AM
  5. accessing floppy drive
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server picture

10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server

$57.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99