-
Dual-Boot System Crash after Repartitioning
I ran out of room on my Linux partition (it's 8g and fairly new). From Windows 2000 I ran Partition Magic to decrease my NTFS partition and increase my EXT3 partition. The process was going very slowly so I left it to run overnight. This morning the screen contained a series of evenly spaced 99s along the top third. I rebooted and got the same thing. Booting up from a Knoppix CD I was able to use QTPARTED and see the partitions. And I was able to view the files in each. So how do I get the boot-up problem fixed?
-
The 9999 problem is due to lilo not working. You can reinstall lilo with:
boot from cd
open console
sudo su
mount -o dev /dev/hdXY /mnt/hdXY (where XY is the drive/partition of your knoppix install)
chroot /mnt/hdXY
lilo -v
Ctrl-d to exit from chroot
You should probably check with sudo fdisk -l that the partition scheme looks fine before trying to fix it.
Did you increase the ext3 partition at the beginning? If so, I hope Partition Magic can handle it correctly.
-
The 9999 problem is due to lilo not working. You can reinstall lilo with:
boot from cd
open console
sudo su
mount -o dev /dev/hdXY /mnt/hdXY (where XY is the drive/partition of your knoppix install)
chroot /mnt/hdXY
lilo -v
Ctrl-d to exit from chroot
BINGO! Thanks! I'm back in business!
Similar Threads
-
By zombie3000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-27-2005, 08:49 PM
-
By furryfren in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
-
By tnrocketman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 03:32 PM
-
By ronnie_blue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-30-2003, 11:26 AM
-
By chad in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$74.99

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00