-
Senior Member
registered user
Modem Is Busy error Message in k. verson 2.6
I just installed Knoppix to my hard drive and I am even more impressed with it than I was when it was running off the CD.
I think it is just revolutionary to have a live CD that you can install and use the same CD as a rescue disk.
If Microsoft offered the same thing in Windows, it would have a fresh round of billions coming in. But then they don't think outside the box. So that ain't going to happen.
By the way, I used a utility called Bootpart to get my dual boot install to work with XP. It is a breeze to use and automatically puts a line in your boot.ini menu. No typing needed!!!!
Anyway there are a couple of problems I have to iron out to complete the install.
In k. version 2.4.27 I have no sound. In version 2.6.7 I have sound (Yahoo!) BUT the modem doesn't work. When I try to dial out I get a message "Modem is Busy". The modem does work in k. version 2.4.27. but there is no sound.
With no other problems that I can see in k. version 2.6.7 I would love to get this modem kink ironed out. It is an old Cardinal 28.8 winmodem. Pretty generic really. Our phone lines are pretty crappy where I live so I never upgraded modems. No need.
Anyone out there have an idea about what is going on and how to fix it?
I would even just go buy another modem to get this working.
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Getting Warmer
I found this in an article on solving Linux modem problems:
"Modem is busy"
What this means depends on what program sent it. The modem could actually be in use (busy). Another cause reported for the SuSE distribution is that there may be two serial drivers present instead of one. One driver was built into the kernel and the second was a module.
In kppp, this message is sent when an attempt to get/set the serial port "stty" parameters fails. (It's similar to the "Input/output error" one may get when trying to use "stty -F /dev/ttySx"). To get a few of these stty parameters, the true address of the port must be known to the driver. So the driver may have the wrong address. The setserial" command will display what the driver thinks but it's likely wrong in this case. So what the "modem busy" often means is that the serial port (and thus the modem) can't be found.
If you have a pci modem, then use one of these commands: lspci, or cat /proc/pci, or dmesg to find the correct address and irq of the modem's serial port. Then check to see if "setserial" shows the same thing. If not, you need to run a script at boot-time which contains a setserial command that will tell the driver the correct address and irq. The reason that the driver has it wrong may be due to failure of the kernel to understand the lspci data correctly. You might notice this in a boot-time message.
Now I just have to figure out how what the nitty gritty is in terms of solving this on my own box.
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By jodef in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
-
By abrand888 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
-
By Sachiel in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
-
By kchard in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 12:50 AM
-
By gtgoku in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY
$600.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CTD8Y 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$160.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

LOT OF 100 MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9 Micron 16GB DDR4-2933MHz ECC 1Rx4 NVDIMM Memory
$9900.00

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50