Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Source code despair......

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Source code despair......

    I have allready read the instructions in several threads on how to build a properly patced kernel for knoppix3.1, and i have fialed miserably over and over again. is there anywhere i can just DL the bloody kernel already patched?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    What is the problem you encountered ? One way to learn Linux(like building kernels) are at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    the problem was that I only knew how to do about half of the things that specific commands weren't listed for, and subsiuently only about half the commands that were listed specificaly did anything but retrn an error. Of course, managed to destroy my instalatio everal times and reinstall several times before giving up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Source code despair......

    --You *are* doing all this stuff as root, right? What kind of errmsgs are you getting?

    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    I have allready read the instructions in several threads on how to build a properly patced kernel for knoppix3.1, and i have fialed miserably over and over again. is there anywhere i can just DL the bloody kernel already patched?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Of course I'mdoing this as root. goes wthout saying.

    Here is the first error I get. I'm tryig to follow the instructions posted by infomania in this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131 after the first patch that is done with apt-get, he says to aply some other patch, but says NOTHING about how to do this. Of course later int he thread someone gives directions saying to apply the patch by entering "patch < knoppix-kernel.patch" whitch returns "bash: knoppix-kernel.patch: No such file or directory" it's all down hill form there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Aha, patch.

    What 'patch' does is it takes a 'patch file'(a text file) and applies it to the specific source.

    Patch < knoppix.kernel.patch

    means that it takes the input from 'knoppix.kernel.patch', in this form, it use a relative directory convention meaning it really depends on where the patch files sit and where you are at the time you run the command.

    A better way would be to use the absolute path of the patch file you have put.

    Assume you have download(I don't know how you did it) the patch files to

    /usr/mykernel/knoppix.kernel.patch.gz2(I am assuming it is zipped)

    you need to first unzip it through gzip -d

    then

    patch < /usr/mykernel/knoppix.kernel.patch

    That is the best I can help at the moment, without knowing further detail.

    PS. Now you know why I said linux is far from user friendly comparing with XP
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    Of course I'mdoing this as root. goes wthout saying.

    Here is the first error I get. I'm tryig to follow the instructions posted by infomania in this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131 after the first patch that is done with apt-get, he says to aply some other patch, but says NOTHING about how to do this. Of course later int he thread someone gives directions saying to apply the patch by entering "patch < knoppix-kernel.patch" whitch returns "bash: knoppix-kernel.patch: No such file or directory" it's all down hill form there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I will try that tommorrow. for tonight my linux partition is once again unusable. I still maintain that once set up, linux is much friendlier, but i think we can all agree that reguardless of what we think about post set-up, the setup processitself is VERY unfriendly, to all but the uberest of linux gods.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    it is actualy knoppix-kernel.patch, not knoppix.kernel.patch

    It is located in /usr/src

    I entered the command you gave me as follows

    patch < /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch and recieved the following mesage: can't find file to patch at input line 3
    Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |--- linux/arch/i386/kernel/setup.c.orig 2002-10-04 01:02:25.000000000 +0200
    |+++ linux/arch/i386/kernel/setup.c 2002-10-04 01:03:24.000000000 +0200
    --------------------------
    File to patch:


    the line "File to patch:" is a prompt, but I don't know what to enter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    If it makes any difference, the entirety of the patch when opened in konquerer is:


    --- linux/arch/i386/kernel/setup.c.orig 2002-10-04 01:02:25.000000000 +0200
    +++ linux/arch/i386/kernel/setup.c 2002-10-04 01:03:24.000000000 +0200
    @@ -195,7 +195,7 @@
    #define INITRD_START (*(unsigned long *) (PARAM+0x21)
    #define INITRD_SIZE (*(unsigned long *) (PARAM+0x21c))
    #define COMMAND_LINE ((char *) (PARAM+204)
    -#define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 256
    +#define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 512 /* The boot commandline in Knoppix can get quite long -KK Oct. 2002 */

    #define RAMDISK_IMAGE_START_MASK 0x07FF
    #define RAMDISK_PROMPT_FLAG 0x8000





    If this is all there actualy is, I'm not opposed to applying it manualy if that's possible. Just tell me what toadd it to and where to add it. If not, hopefully you can tell me how to patch it with the patch command.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I have now successfully applied the patch in question. turns out it's only job is to change one value that can also be changed manualy, so it's done. But I could use some more help. HTe remainder of te instructions are as follows:

    Perhaps you want below too;
    # mv kernel-source-2.4.20 kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs
    # ln -s kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs linux
    Then you might want to edit the fourth line of Makefile adding;
    EXTRAVERSION =-xfs

    # cd linux
    # export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
    # make-kpkg --added-patches=/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/apply/xfs configure
    (you might use the configuration file from /boot/config-2.4.20 Knoppix)
    Confirm the following lines in linux/.config
    CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
    CONFIG_XFS_RT=y
    CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y
    CONFIG_XFS_DMAPI=y
    # CONFIG_XFS_DEBUG is not set

    # fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image



    If you read through that there are several "you might want to" , "you might use" etc. type remarks. Can you clarify these and tell me what I do or do not need to do? I tried the command mv kernel-source-2.4.20 kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs but it did not do anything for me. I got the mesage "mv: cannot stat `kernel-source-2.4.20': No such file or directory
    "

    Further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Source Code?
    By ShadowAce in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
  2. Plz help i dont know how to install source code programs!
    By jjman123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 12:19 AM
  3. No Source-Code in actual Knoppix?
    By KeTZer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
  4. Where did the knoppix hwsetup source code go?
    By rexmundi in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 11:13 PM
  5. need source code
    By vynx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99