-
Administrator
Site Admin-
LOcal FTP for installing and apt
Well, I finally got Debain sarge installed to hard disk today. Took three tries, lots of apt getting each time though, and I'm far from anywhere near an enjoyable install. Also, since I couldnn't seen to convince the installer to use the partitions I wanted for it and I gave in and let it take all remaining disk space, I'm likley going to be tossing it off and reinstalling, both to try a Kanotix install and just to get the install "right". So this causes me to wonder if I might not be better off downloading the packages I need or want to a local FTP server and then install much faster from that (and put less load on the debain FTP servers, since I expect I'll install more than one more time).
The questions are: Can I even do this? I remember seeing a list of available servers during the install, but don't know if I can install from my own local server or if I'm forced to pick from the list. (It sure seems like I should be able to use my own FTP server, but there's a lot of things in Linux I expect to be easy but, at least for the novice, are not.) Assuming I can do this, is there a good way to determine what packages I need to download to my server (I have no idea what packages Debain gets, but I saw it take about 700 during the install). Or am I planning on doing something completely stupid?
Running the local FTP server should be no problem, but I only have about 4 to 5 gig of space for the FTP server. That certainly seems like it should be enough, but I may have to be somewhat selective in what I have on the server that way.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just use the mirrors, that's what they are there for.
If you do a Kanotix or a Knoppix hdinstall, there is no downloading needed (other than to get the original Kanotix/Knooix disk) but once you have the hd install you will probably want to upgrade it or add packages; this will involve some downloading.
When I was doing several pretty much identical installs (experimenting with Kanotix-Knoopix mode, debian mode, two machines...), first I made a list of packages I wanted to remove, removed them, then did apt-get upgrade which needed about 400 Meg of packages. These get stored in /var/cache/apt/archives until you remove them with apt-get clean so I just copied the packages to a backup location then copied them back into /var/cache/apt/archives for the next install so I didn't have to repeat the download each time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
That seems to be a problem with the older installer.
Try this.
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/t...mages/netboot/
its the mini.iso
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
That seems to be a problem with the older installer.....
Thanks, but what exact do you mean by "That"?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
That seems to be a problem with the older installer.....
Thanks, but what exact do you mean by "
That"?
The harddrive partitioning problem.
I thought I hit quote....
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
Harddrive partitioning problem.
I thought I hit quote....
Thanks. Quote woulldn't have helped unless you narrowed it down to the item anyway.
I did grab the mini.iso. Not sure when I'll try to use it, as I would like to figure out the answer to the main question, can I get packages available on a local FTP server before I do, to make future installs a lot faster (and what surprises wil I have when I try to do this). But it's good to know that I wasn't the only one to find the partitioning an issue and that it's been addressed.
Similar Threads
-
By Jorge Martínez in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
-
By kooladi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
-
By treo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
-
By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
-
By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 01:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10
$1505.77

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99

CyberPowerPC Pc, AMD Ryzen 7 8700F, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060 (FAIRLY USED,No Box)
$800.00

Intel Core i5-8500 SR3XE 3.00GHz Desktop CPU
$39.99