Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Having trouble using Knoppix from my burned bootable CD.

  1. #1

    Having trouble using Knoppix from my burned bootable CD.

    Hi.

    I'm having a Windows problem with my hp Pavilion ze5200 laptop (it stalls/stops doing anything at the XP loading screen) and I am hoping to use Knoppix to get at a few of the files I have on there. I have the BIOS set to boot from the CD drive.

    I used Nero to burn a bootable disc from the .iso image, and it burned it just fine with no issues. When I put it in my laptop and restart, it does boot up, but nothing happens. It start out by saying "Caldera-[something]" and then A bunch of text and such scrolls by, and I end up at a line that says

    [DR-DOS] A:\>

    Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to go there? Am I just an idiot?(cetainly )

    I tried to read the FAQ, but it appears to be down If this would be more appropriate in the laptop forum, my apologies and please just move it there.

    Your help is appreciated!

    EDIT: Oh dear, this should have probably gone into the MS windows and new to linux forum, eh?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

  3. #3
    Thanks! Giving it a try now *crosses fingers*

  4. #4
    Dangit. New Problem.

    It goes through all the motions of starting linux, then at some point it says

    Can't Unmount CD yet...
    Can't unmount CD yet...
    Cant unmount...please reset

    Then the whole thing shuts down.

    Any thoughts?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try at the prompt Boot:knoppix acpi=off
    plus any other cheatcodes you might need. The Docs are down for the moment but have a look here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15433

  6. #6
    Alright, I'm at the Knoppix desktop.

    Will I be able to get at the files on my HD?

    If so, how?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Click on a harddisk icon on your desktop to open the partition in konqueror. If you want to write on a NTFS partition you need to search this site for captive ntfs.

  8. #8
    Big thanks Markus! You (and Knoppix!) have proved to be a real life saver!

    Now to reformat my stupid laptop...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You're welcome.
    For rescuing the data you can browse this forum, there's several threads on this in the MS section, also have a look at: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

    BTW, Welcome to linux

  10. #10
    Thanks

    It was a bit tricky when everything was in German though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I burned the ISO to CD,when boot from the CD ,but failed?
    By normalnotebook in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 12:45 AM
  2. How to copy burned CDs?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 02:36 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 09:13 PM
  4. HELP PLEASE..BURNED KNOPPIX A FEW TIMES..WASTED A FEW CDS
    By behnood in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:17 AM
  5. I don't believe it burned onto the cd right but
    By bootme54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512

$65.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00