Try:
dpkg -r ntfsprogs (followed by)
apt-get -f install
Hi,
I did an apt-get upgrade after which I am unable to do any other apt-gets. (I can however do an apt-get update). I looked at some other posts on this site on this issue and tried following the suggestions there, but am still stuck. Whenever I try and install a package it says the following package has unmet dependencies - libntfs5.
So I tried doing an install of libntfs5, it then says
dpkg- error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack)
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Following this I tried to remove the lib package in /var/cache/apt/archives and do a
'touch /usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0' I have also tried to do an apt-get -f install but none of the above seem to work. I am therefore stuck and cannot download any packages. Can someone help?
Thanks.
Try:
dpkg -r ntfsprogs (followed by)
apt-get -f install
having same problems,Originally Posted by eco2geek
root@i40dtp:/home/cbal# dpkg -r ntfsprogs
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of ntfsprogs:
ntfsprogs-dev depends on ntfsprogs (= 200309071734captive1).
dpkg: error processing ntfsprogs (--remove):
dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
ntfsprogs
root@i40dtp:/home/cbal#
this didn't help.
From Chapter 7 of the Apt Howto:Originally Posted by funny1
"If the installation breaks in the middle of the process and you find that it's no longer possbile to install or remove packages, try running these two commands:
apt-get -f install
dpkg --configure -a
and then try again. It may be necessary to run the second command more than once."
apt-get -f remove <packagename> is also a valid command & may force removal of the program for you. also dpkg has a -force-overwrite option. see man dpkg.

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
AMD Ryzen 5 8400F 4.2GHz 6-Core/ 12-Threads Socket AM5 65W Processor
$129.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$14.99