Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problems after apt-get upgrade

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    1

    Problems after apt-get upgrade

    Hi,

    I did an apt-get upgrade after which I am unable to do any other apt-gets. (I can however do an apt-get update). I looked at some other posts on this site on this issue and tried following the suggestions there, but am still stuck. Whenever I try and install a package it says the following package has unmet dependencies - libntfs5.

    So I tried doing an install of libntfs5, it then says

    dpkg- error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack)
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    Following this I tried to remove the lib package in /var/cache/apt/archives and do a
    'touch /usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0' I have also tried to do an apt-get -f install but none of the above seem to work. I am therefore stuck and cannot download any packages. Can someone help?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Try:

    dpkg -r ntfsprogs (followed by)
    apt-get -f install

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    southwest usa
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Try:

    dpkg -r ntfsprogs (followed by)
    apt-get -f install
    having same problems,

    root@i40dtp:/home/cbal# dpkg -r ntfsprogs
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of ntfsprogs:
    ntfsprogs-dev depends on ntfsprogs (= 200309071734captive1).
    dpkg: error processing ntfsprogs (--remove):
    dependency problems - not removing
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ntfsprogs
    root@i40dtp:/home/cbal#

    this didn't help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    21

    Re: Problems after apt-get upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by funny1
    Hi,

    I did an apt-get upgrade after which I am unable to do any other apt-gets. (I can however do an apt-get update). I looked at some other posts on this site on this issue and tried following the suggestions there, but am still stuck. Whenever I try and install a package it says the following package has unmet dependencies - libntfs5.

    So I tried doing an install of libntfs5, it then says

    dpkg- error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack)
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    Following this I tried to remove the lib package in /var/cache/apt/archives and do a
    'touch /usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0' I have also tried to do an apt-get -f install but none of the above seem to work. I am therefore stuck and cannot download any packages. Can someone help?

    Thanks.
    From Chapter 7 of the Apt Howto:
    "If the installation breaks in the middle of the process and you find that it's no longer possbile to install or remove packages, try running these two commands:
    apt-get -f install
    dpkg --configure -a

    and then try again. It may be necessary to run the second command more than once."

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    apt-get -f remove <packagename> is also a valid command & may force removal of the program for you. also dpkg has a -force-overwrite option. see man dpkg.

Similar Threads

  1. problems with apt-get upgrade after installing knoppix to HD
    By voldemort_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
  2. Apt-get upgrade problems, AGAIN - GRRRR
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. Not the usual Kernel upgrade problems
    By spiritwing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 05:48 AM
  4. Dual boot Kernel Upgrade problems
    By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 01:58 AM
  5. Kde 3.0 to kde 3.1 upgrade problems
    By silkodyssey in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



(Lot of 4) Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR4 Gaming RAM / KF436C18BB/32 - VGC picture

(Lot of 4) Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR4 Gaming RAM / KF436C18BB/32 - VGC

$799.95



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White

$75.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00