Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: LiveCD running VMWARE ....questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    LiveCD running VMWARE ....questions

    Hello everyone,

    I have a Knoppix 3.4 remastered with vmware installed on it. When I boot from the CD, I have been able to run my vmware with windows 98 without any real problems.....The exception is that I am not able to bridge the networking / problems with vmnet. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the network up and running? I am also interested in mounting FAT16 / FAT32 drives as read-only within the vmware…. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    tried installing vmware tools inside win98 box?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    A word of caution:
    There is a real danger in mixing Free and Open Source Software and proprietary software and then making a copy of it on a CD. Are you allowed to do what you did? Have you checked the license agreement that you agreed to abide by? http://www.vmware.com/download/ws4_eula.html. Just because you can do something does not mean you are permitted to.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    VMWARE Lisc...

    I apologize for posting this question. I will discontinue use and further development and find an open source solution to my needs....and abusing the message board with this type of questioning... While there was only intent to use this CD for my own use, I will discontinue the product. I have read the VMWARE lisc before I started, and I am a licensed user of the product paid for out of my own pocket, I am not legally trained to be able to make a formalized conclusion on this installation to CD media within the license agreement. The remaster I was working on required you use the Software License Key to activate the Software every time you went to use the application (had to use the CD key). Thank you everyone for the good and informative readings from the forums.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    If you have paid for VMware and if you are not redistributing the disc then I see no legal problems!

    Greetings,
    probono

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re: LiveCD running VMWARE ....questions

    Quote Originally Posted by bdn103
    Hello everyone,

    I have a Knoppix 3.4 remastered with vmware installed on it. When I boot from the CD, I have been able to run my vmware with windows 98 without any real problems.....The exception is that I am not able to bridge the networking / problems with vmnet. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the network up and running? I am also interested in mounting FAT16 / FAT32 drives as read-only within the vmware…. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Yes, VMWare allows for a non-persistant disk image. This allows you to boot from vmdk on your cd/dvd Networking works fine for me. How did you install vmware on your image?

Similar Threads

  1. Running Knoppix / Kanotix under free VMware Player
    By groenewe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 01:04 PM
  2. How to configure rsyncd running on Knoppix LiveCD
    By jsavage in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
  3. Knoppix inside VMware running on WinXP
    By upazupa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
  4. changing permissions of /usr running liveCD
    By bernstine in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
  5. Linux running windows on VMware
    By ben- in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99