Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Unable to mount external USB WD HD using Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Unable to mount external USB WD HD using Knoppix

    Hello Gurus,

    I need urgent help! Here's the story -
    I have a Compaq XP desktop which was working fine until last week. Now, it doesn't boot. It gives the following message:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure.
    Your hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup contents and replace this hard disk.
    Attribute Failed: # 05
    --------------------------------------------------------

    On trying to boot it complains about missing system files.

    At first, I thought that my hard drive is fried. But then I am able to access/view all my precious data using Knoppix (using CD)!!
    So, I have a following plan to recover the data (and PC):
    1. Copy all the data to an external drive. (I bought one Western Digital dual-option USB 2.0 hard drive 80 GB. It is preformatted to a single FAT32 partition).
    2. Restore the XP to factory default using the recovery CD.
    3. Reload the data into the hard disk from the external hard drive.

    I believe my hard drive is fine, just the XP (boot/system files) is corrupted. Is that true?
    Nevertheless, I am stuck at the Step 1 above. As soon as I plug in the external HD, Knoppix just freezes. The same thing happens when I try to boot Knoppix with the HD plugged in.
    I am really a first time Knoppix user. I looked at the forum tried options that I could understand. Here are some details (A through H) that may help you help me!

    A) fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id
    System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 9796 74057728+ 7
    HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 9797 10337 4089960 f
    Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 9797 10337 4089928+ b
    Win95 FAT32

    B) cat /etc/fstab

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto
    user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro
    0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto
    users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    C) cat /proc/partitions
    major minor #blocks name

    3 0 78150744 hda
    3 1 74057728 hda1
    3 2 1 hda2
    3 5 4089928 hda5

    D) lsmod |grep usb
    usb-storage 54524 0 (unused)
    usbmouse 1788 0 (unused)
    usbkbd 2876 0 (unused)
    input 3200 0 [mousedev keybdev
    usbmouse hid usbkbd]
    usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57120 1 [usb-storage
    usbmouse hid usbkbd usb-uhci

    E) mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/usbhdd
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
    or too many mounted file systems

    F) root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t fat32 /dev/hda /mnt/usbhdd
    mount: fs type fat32 not supported by kernel

    G) root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t auto /dev/hda /mnt/usbhdd
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    H) root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usbhdd
    mount: /dev/sda is not a valid block device


    FYI, I am runnig Knoppix using a CD.
    Can anyone please tell me how can I achieve what I am trying to do?
    Again, this is very first time I am trying to use knoppix. I may need detailed Instructions compatible to a novice.
    Greatly appreciate your help!

    Thanks,
    Vinay

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    If SMART says your drive is about to fail,it is.Get another hard drive.
    I've never had knoppix lockup when plugging in a usb device.
    Sounds like an irq conflict.You should look through the dmesg output and
    /proc/interrupts.Look through the cheatcodes on the cd and try
    some of them.
    To mount a usb drive try
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test
    Compaqs have been known to have a screwed up bios.
    They also use the cheapest components they can get away with.
    If you can't get your usb drive to work,I suggest either backup to
    another hard drive(slave) or try backing up over your lan to a
    windows share on another pc.
    Good Luck

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to mount /tmp/app/1
    By xmonkee in forum Klik
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
  2. Unable to install from External CDROM
    By pvishnoi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 08:01 AM
  4. how to mount external USB DVD drive
    By pubo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
  5. Ezques external firewire hdd cannot mount
    By clinthammer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2 picture

2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2

$125.00



KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE picture

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE

$58.99



Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC picture

Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC

$109.99