Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    PLEASE HELP ME!!

    This morning windows decided to crash on me. It won't boot back up. Luckily I had tried Knoppix a few weeks ago and still had the cd. Honestly, I have no idea how to work this o.s. I'm in the middle of final week at school and have a presentation that needs to be ready for tomorrow. It's a large file and will require around 645MB. I understand Knoppix has the burning software k3b and I've tried to set it up. I've already set my root password so I type that in when prompted. It finds my two burners just fine and I believe the other settings are alright, but when I click OK it says it could not update all of the permissions. Then it closes. I am desperate and have no experience outside of windows and a little dos from back in the day. If anyone could help me before the end of the day it would be MUCH appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you are desperate try
    Code:
    sudo k3b
    that will let you run k3b as root. be careful.
    btw burn it without making an ISO first otherwise your ram might run low FAST (if you have less than 1.5Gb)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Nevermind, I got windows going again.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sidnelp
    .... I'm in the middle of final week at school and have a presentation that needs to be ready for tomorrow. It's a large file and will require around 645MB. I understand Knoppix has the burning software......
    Knoppix has burning software, but unless you have a lot of ram or a second CD drive that is also a CD writer, then you have an extra problem - you need the Knoppix CD in the drive toactually be running Knoppix.

    Here are some quick suggestions on how to work around this: If you are on a network and you can transfer the file to another machine, do that with Knoppix. If you have acces to a 1 gig flash menory stick, put it in the system when Knoppix boots, right click on hard drive sda1 and select mount, right click again on hard drive sda1 and select action and pick the choice that makes the device read-write (it defauls to read only for safety). Then you can copy the file there. Use the browser to transfer the file to a website like www.yousendit.com, who will hold it there for up to seven days while you set up to get it back (this will require that your connection is fast enough to make the upload and later download reasonable).

    If none of the above seem like they will work for you, here's another work around for the Knoppix must be in the CD drive problem: Use a distro of a live CD that is much smaller than Knoppix. I would suggest Damn Small Linux. It's only about 50 meg and has a CD burner in it as well. There are two ways you could use it: One would be to use the toram option to copy all of it to ram; that should let you take out the CD and insert a blank that you can write to. The second, the one I've actually done, is to write the iso as the first sesion of a multi-session CD. Be sure that "finalize the CD" is not checked. You can use this CD to boot into Damn Small Linux. Then, with the CD still in the drive, you can run the burning software. I forget the name, but it's all command line based and very easy to use (as long as you are not in a panic). I had a CD burnt in just a few minutes. You burn the files that you want to the second session of the CD. Sounds like they will just fit in the remaining 650 megs of a 700 meg CD with a few megs left over. The result is a CD with both DSL and the recovered files on it. This CD is no longer bootable, but it holds the recovered data.

    Good Luck.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thank you both for you suggestions. I eventually got XP to boot for me. However, at some point I want to stop relying on XP so much and learn my way around linux. It's times like these when I realize how unstable windows can be and how much I depend on it. I like knoppix because it doesn't require me to use a dual-boot startup thing. I believe to set this up I would have to add a new partition to my drive and to do that I would have to reformat my entire drive as well. As for your suggestions, I've got 1GB of ram and two burners so that isn't an issue. I'm on the residence network here but I have absolutely no idea how I would go about transferring files. Yousendit would have worked (I tried finding a good web-storage site with no success) and I could have possibly located a mem stick but I'm not too sure. I am curious why the burning software would not work for me. Does it require files be placed on my hard disk? When I was messing around with it I figured out that my hard drive cannot be written to. I made sure it was not on read-only but that didn't help. I'm thinking maybe because it's NFTS? Also, my sound card does not work with knoppix. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I tried using 'knoppix alsa' when booting but that didn't work. Maybe it's not supported. Anyway, thank you both for responding so quickly. I'm sure I will be on here with more questions as my exploration continues.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by sidnelp
    .... I believe to set this up I would have to add a new partition to my drive and to do that I would have to reformat my entire drive as well. .
    You can run Knoppix fine off the CD (or with that much memory, with the toram option) just fine. To write anything to the CD you would need a partition that you can write to, and that isn't a NTFS partition. No, you would not have to reformat your entire hard drive. What I did on my notebook (that came with XP) was to use Partition Magic to shrink the NTFS partition down to a bit more than the space it already took up. Then I created a FAT partition in the remaining space. Both Knoppix and Xp can read and write to the FAT (although in Knoppix it still defaults to a safe read-only mount and you explicity mount it read/write if you want to). I'm still running Knoppix from CD, nothing installed.

    Quote Originally Posted by sidnelp
    As for your suggestions, I've got 1GB of ram and two burners so that isn't an issue.
    Yup, you're in great shape there. I can't tell you what happened wrong for you when writing a CD. I wasn't there and actually I've never done it in Knoppix (one CD writer and not enough memory for the toram option), just in DSL. But it was extremely easy with the burner built in to DSL. My suggestion would be to sit down some time with Knoppix and a pile of blank CDR media or (better yet) a couple of CDRW's and play with it a bit before you need it, then you'll be ready the next time xp strikes. Failing that, get a copy of DSL and try that.

    Quote Originally Posted by sidnelp
    When I was messing around with it I figured out that my hard drive cannot be written to. I made sure it was not on read-only but that didn't help. I'm thinking maybe because it's NFTS?
    You should never make an NTFS partition read/write under Knoppix. Just be glad that you (apparently) were not punished for this. Other types of partitions can be made read/write (from what you say you've already found how to do this).

    Quote Originally Posted by sidnelp
    Also, my sound card does not work with knoppix. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I tried using 'knoppix alsa' when booting but that didn't work. Maybe it's not supported.
    Not sure about that. Maybe someone who knows will respond here, but a seperate post in the hardware forum with Audigy in the subject is likely to catch more eyes. Good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99