I want xfs, we need ptrace-patch, we need 256-byte-patch.
You get xfs-patch per apt-get and all others are included in knoppix
So where is the problem ?
cu
Fabian
I can't say it enough. use a standard kernel. Because of the custom kernel, I've spent an entire day, destroying and reinstalling linux trying to get it to work. If he would use a standard kernel I could just download the correct version and be done with it.
I want xfs, we need ptrace-patch, we need 256-byte-patch.
You get xfs-patch per apt-get and all others are included in knoppix
So where is the problem ?
cu
Fabian
It is more or less a standard kernel. A lot more standard than RedHat or Mandrake or Suse or Debian even I think.
Why really do we need the xfs-patch? KK also says it is needed, but what for? I use ext3...
my understanding is that it is included because it was requested by many people. XFS was donated to linux by SGI, and is going to be an official part of Linux 2.6. I think it is probally a very popular filesystem, and becasue Knoppix is used in a rescue environment it needs to support as many filesystems as possable, for example it used to even support the amiga / acorn file systems!Originally Posted by probono
I would be okay if it was just xfs, because that is available via apt-get, but there is at least one other patch. I would also be okay if the kerel source was available for download and simple to install, like maybe as a debian package. But it's not. I realize that for the experienced, building a custom kernel is very simple. But for those new to linux, it is mind boggelingly complicated. I still can't do it right and I'm on day 2 of trying to build a kernel.
Knoppix uses a standard Kernel, plus the XFS patch.Originally Posted by VeeDubb
http://www.kernel.org/
http://www.xfs.org/
Skip XFS, if you don't need it. Because Knoppix can be used as rescue CD, it should contain as many of the stable filesystem drivers as possible. Therefore xfs is present as a module.
The kernel config is present at /usr/src/linux/.config.
Regards
-Klaus Knopper

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99
Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box
$1500.00
Sangoma S705 VoIP Phone POE (AC adapter sold separately)
$198.82