Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: STANDARDIZE THE KERNEL!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    STANDARDIZE THE KERNEL!!!!!!!!!!

    I can't say it enough. use a standard kernel. Because of the custom kernel, I've spent an entire day, destroying and reinstalling linux trying to get it to work. If he would use a standard kernel I could just download the correct version and be done with it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    hm ?

    I want xfs, we need ptrace-patch, we need 256-byte-patch.

    You get xfs-patch per apt-get and all others are included in knoppix

    So where is the problem ?

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    It is more or less a standard kernel. A lot more standard than RedHat or Mandrake or Suse or Debian even I think.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Why really do we need the xfs-patch? KK also says it is needed, but what for? I use ext3...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Why really do we need the xfs-patch? KK also says it is needed, but what for? I use ext3...
    my understanding is that it is included because it was requested by many people. XFS was donated to linux by SGI, and is going to be an official part of Linux 2.6. I think it is probally a very popular filesystem, and becasue Knoppix is used in a rescue environment it needs to support as many filesystems as possable, for example it used to even support the amiga / acorn file systems!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I would be okay if it was just xfs, because that is available via apt-get, but there is at least one other patch. I would also be okay if the kerel source was available for download and simple to install, like maybe as a debian package. But it's not. I realize that for the experienced, building a custom kernel is very simple. But for those new to linux, it is mind boggelingly complicated. I still can't do it right and I'm on day 2 of trying to build a kernel.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    I would be okay if it was just xfs, because that is available via apt-get, but there is at least one other patch. I would also be okay if the kerel source was available for download and simple to install, like maybe as a debian package. But it's not. I realize that for the experienced, building a custom kernel is very simple. But for those new to linux, it is mind boggelingly complicated. I still can't do it right and I'm on day 2 of trying to build a kernel.
    Knoppix uses a standard Kernel, plus the XFS patch.

    http://www.kernel.org/
    http://www.xfs.org/

    Skip XFS, if you don't need it. Because Knoppix can be used as rescue CD, it should contain as many of the stable filesystem drivers as possible. Therefore xfs is present as a module.

    The kernel config is present at /usr/src/linux/.config.

    Regards
    -Klaus Knopper

Similar Threads

  1. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  2. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  3. Kernel Build with kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs:
    By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:10 PM
  4. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08