-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I remove/add applications to KNOPPIX(well linux)
Coming from a XP/ME background, I know that I need to go through the control panel to properly remove an application on it.
Do I need to do the same in KNOPPIX/linux or I can just remove the directory containing the application ? How about the icons/links on the KDE desktop ? I see a lot of applications on the 'start menu' of KDE which I want to remove.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The way to add or remove software in debian is using apt-get or a front-end for it, such as synaptic. Do not just delete a directory unless you have installed it from a source install or from an executable installer.
As far as trimming down your menu entries, depending on which version of kde you are using, I have kde3.1.1 and the menu editor is in 'Settings", from there you can edit your kde menu.
rock
-
aptitude
in the console run 'aptitude'. it shows you what you have installed and what you don't. You can choose to remove programs or add them. Its nicer than just apt-get or dpkg.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: aptitude
Uhm, aptitude and synaptic need to be installed before you can use them.
So, type this at a command prompt:
Code:
su
{enter root password}
apt-get install synaptic aptitude
{hit enter}
Now you can start both by entering their name. These programs are basicaly a more or less graphical frontend to apt-get.
Similar Threads
-
By jringerj in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
-
By fairchdr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By ykhov in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-12-2003, 01:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99