I've noticed the same problem. Happens both when running off CD normally, and also in VMware. The 06-06-2003 release does not fix it. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
(BTW, I can run GnomeMeeting fine under plain Debian GNU/Linux)
I've tried many machines, it cannot startup with a err message said: "gnomemeeting cannot start without a soundcard ..." or something like, however, I can enjoy the music with xmms or xine.
I've noticed the same problem. Happens both when running off CD normally, and also in VMware. The 06-06-2003 release does not fix it. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
(BTW, I can run GnomeMeeting fine under plain Debian GNU/Linux)
I would also like to be able to run GnomeMeeting from the live CD distribution. I am receiving the same error as the other user. Does anyone know if there are any switches you can throw at GnomeMeeting to make it use a particular device? I would like it to use /dev/phone (my Quicknet Linuxjack card) for sound, but I can't get past the original error to start tweaking the configuration. The LinuxJack module is loaded properly when I run a lsmod | grep ixj
Thanks in advance,
~paul
Okay, here's the solution. If you start knoppix with the "knoppix alsa" parameter, it will load the sound modules the GnomeMeeting is looking for. GnomeMeeting can now start without errors and log into ils.seconix.com...
Regards,
~paul
on my i810 MoBo, ALSA doesn't load so this won't work, BUT, my Knoppix/Debian v3.0( 2.4.21 kernel ) desktop runs the lastest GnomeMeeting without ALSA just fine....
Why would it be able to find the /dev/dsp device with OSS on one machine and not on another????
How do you run the alsa parameter?
typically, one boots Knoppix and then adds the cheatcode "alsa" and away it goes. For the Newbie, you'd type:
knoppix alsa
I think I got gnomemeeting working somewhat on the i810 system by running the alsa_init script after booting( run as root ).

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS
$67.99
Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz
$475.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
Intel Core [email protected] GHz SRMBM Socket FCLGA1700 Processor
$159.99
Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99