I gave up on VNC. Why not use ssh, sftp, fish, etc?
Regards,
AJG
I've looked all throught the past threads and cant find the answer to my question.
I downloaded RealVNC for linux. I extracted, then ran vncserver in terminal. It asks for a password, but i cant type anything, i press enter and it says password too short, try again.
Any ideas? This prob has been bothering me for a while. I want to run the server on knoppix, so i can view it from my windows comp. I can setup an ftp on my windows system, but i want to be able to run commands n stuff without having to go over to my linux box. Tryin to learn linux btw.
Thx!
I gave up on VNC. Why not use ssh, sftp, fish, etc?
Regards,
AJG
Since Knoppix comes with the NX Server, why not use that? You can download a free NX client for Windows.
Yes....go for NX.
![]()
You all have had success with NX and VNC?
Regards,
AJG
I never had much success with VNC.
I recently tried NX on my knoppix-installered LAN (V3.7) and it seems to be working great! One question: is there a way for my students to see my desktop and what I'm doing on it if I want - ie: control their desktops from mine? That way I don't need to set up a PC viewer/projector all the time....
How about vis-a-versa? In other words, can I link to a student's desktop remotely and see what they're doing?
TIA,
AJG
How do you start an NX server from knoppix. I have a hardrive install, if that makes a differnece/ I see that there is an NX client installed, but not the server. Whats up? Am i just looking in the wrong place.
Yup, you have to look in two different places. Set up the nxclient you found (<K><internet>) on the client, of course. Then set up the server with <KNOPPIX><SERVICES><START><NXSERVER>. Then go back to the client and fire up nxclient!
HTH,
AJG
One thing I find annoying, however, about the nxclient is that it saves the last userid and passwd that was used! Is there some way to disable this?
Regards,
AJG

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$37.99
New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM
$19.95
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99