Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Hard Drive install

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by kamal
    only 200 megs?

    i thought it was more or is that something else?

    im still confused
    The swap is like virtual RAM. If you have alot of real ram you don't need alot of swap.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Do you lose what is on the HD if you partition free space as said above?? I have XP and wish to install Knoppix. My questions are identical to kamal's, any help would be appreciated.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    If you have windows, and have not done any partitioning yet, you don't have "free space," aka unpartitioned space, on your hard drive. What you have unused space in your windows partion. You need to use something to shrink the windows partition.

    If it's NTFS, be careful what you use. I have used bootitng to resize a windows NTFS partition without any data loss, but as always it's suggested you back up your data first.

    If you already have true "fre space" (unpartitioned space) then there's no data there (unless you have special recovery software...) so no, you don't lose any data that you currently have. Knoppix can auto-partition "free space" assuming you give it at least around 5 gb, though I'd suggest 10 gb or more. Assuming there's no unusual problem, you should also be able to select your old OS to boot into also every time you restart.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    P-Town
    Posts
    15
    so....

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Those there is always a chance that data can be destroyed (with anything that changes the drive) i've never had a failed case with qtparted.

    So yes, its safe.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Download Mandrake 10.1 community iso1 and run that. In there is a expert partitioning tool that can be use to resize without destruction of your windows system. Once you do the partition resizing then it will go to packages that you want installed with choices. There I turn the conputer off there and there you go, a new small partition. I have done it three times to windows partitions with nothing bad happening, except for what i did myself, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...649&highlight=, but that was not part of the resizing, that was part of a botched install. The only way I foud out that it works like that is try it. I backed up everything and crossed my fingers the first time. Now I know that it works good. Windows will run a filesystem check at boot a few times but that was it. Go to your defrag utility and check to see where your files are in your partition. Then start defraging. I did it four time before I got everything to the front of the partition with alot of room.
    Once it created a partition on both sides of it because I didn't do it enough. Like compressing it together and something come out both sides. But it still worked. I ended up with two more partitions instead of one.
    Hope this helps. You can get that here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=71

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    Download Mandrake 10.1 community iso1 and run that. In there is a expert partitioning tool that can be use to resize without destruction of your windows system. Once you do the partition resizing then it will go to packages that you want installed with choices. There I turn the conputer off there and there you go, a new small partition. I have done it three times to windows partitions with nothing bad happening, except for what i did myself, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...649&highlight=, but that was not part of the resizing, that was part of a botched install. The only way I foud out that it works like that is try it. I backed up everything and crossed my fingers the first time. Now I know that it works good. Windows will run a filesystem check at boot a few times but that was it. Go to your defrag utility and check to see where your files are in your partition. Then start defraging. I did it four time before I got everything to the front of the partition with alot of room.
    Once it created a partition on both sides of it because I didn't do it enough. Like compressing it together and something come out both sides. But it still worked. I ended up with two more partitions instead of one.
    Hope this helps. You can get that here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=71
    Well, that seems like alot to download just to resize when qtparted does the job just fine.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Does that do it non destructivly? I would like to know because I would use that instead.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    Does that do it non destructivly? I would like to know because I would use that instead.
    Yea, works nicly.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I could have used that and crossed my fingers aye. I will try it in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible to install Knoppix on a hard drive?
    By ReuvenNY in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 03:36 AM
  2. Hard drive install - issues
    By gradnite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:40 AM
  3. Getting More Help With a Hard Drive Install
    By brianfay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
  4. Problems install on the hard drive
    By ak47 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM
  5. Hard drive Install
    By Gregwithoneg in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Metro DataVac PRO MDV-1 Computer Cleaning System Blower/Vacuum Complete w/ Bags picture

Metro DataVac PRO MDV-1 Computer Cleaning System Blower/Vacuum Complete w/ Bags

$129.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98