-
Need hard drive help
I'm new to Linux and have been playing with the Knoppix CD which I would like to install on the hard drive. Currently running Windows XP. To avoid problems with the NTFS file system, I could just install Windows 98. Considering that I don't care which Windows version I use, would this be a good idea,? Also, to avoid any problems with partitioning, I could just install another hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
actually juat making a / and a swap partition on some free space would be enough, if oyu then make a fat32 partition aswell you can easily share files between the two.
if you could a extra new disk that you could make the 3 partitions on would be nice, not necesary but...
or even make 4 primary partitions on that new disk (yes 4 primary partitions works)
/ 3-4Gb
swap (rule of thumb says 2x memory, id say less if you have more than 512Mb)
fat32 (30Gb or so seems fair) for sharing files...
and rest for /home (10Mb min)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Need hard drive help

Originally Posted by
Ezor
I'm new to Linux and have been playing with the Knoppix CD which I would like to install on the hard drive. Currently running Windows XP. To avoid problems with the NTFS file system, I could just install Windows 98. Considering that I don't care which Windows version I use, would this be a good idea,? Also, to avoid any problems with partitioning, I could just install another hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Any of your choices would work. If you already have XP I would think you might leave it there. The only issue is that you can not write to the NTFS partition with Knoppix. Realize that XP and NTFS are not the same thing; although most XP users do use it with NTFS partitions. I'm guessing that you have NT in a NTFS partition, but you don't have to have in installed in NTFS, it will work find in a FAT partition (without some of the extras most people don't use anyway). So options include just leaving it alone and adding a second drive, shrinking the NTFS partition and adding a FAT partition in the available space, shrinking and adding Linux style partitions in the available space, backing up your XP system and making the partition Fat and then putting XP back on it, and many more, or combinations. You could make that new drive that you add FAT and copy XP there, then rejumper the drives so that the new drive is the new master; XP should run fine from it (and if there is any problem you still have the original on the drive with the NTFS partition). Once you were satisified that XP was running from the new drive, you could then repartition the old drive (now the slave) any way you want. Or you could have left some space on the new drive, and add the partitions there and keep the old drive for something else. Choices, choices, choices.
-
Thanks
Thanks for your help. I've decided to go with an extra drive, Seagate 80 GB. Once I get Knoppix up and running, I'll trash Windows on the other drive and use it to play with Debian or Suse. FWIW - I had a WIN modem which of course doesn't work. Rather than mess around looking for and trying to install a driver, I bought a US Robotics serial modem # 5686E which works just fine.
Similar Threads
-
By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
-
By husalah5150 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By Bodhi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00