Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Where does the default /home/knoppix come from in 3.2 ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    Where does the default /home/knoppix come from in 3.2 ?

    I'm working on remastering Knoppix 3.2 at the moment for the Irish Linux Users Group as a Linuxworld giveaway. Although this is not a new area to me (I'm a contributor to the LNX-BBC project) I'm puzzled as to where the default contents of /home/knoppix come from. I guessed it was /etc/skel but that's not true, as I put a marker file there which didn't end up in /home/knoppix. I've looked in /linuxrc and it doesn't appear to be there, but nor can I find it in any of the /etc/init.d scripts. My turnaround time for a new burn of Knoppix is about 30 minutes, so trial and error is expensive with time, and the show starts tomorrow :-) What blindingly obvious thing am I missing ?


    Kindest regards,


    Niall O Broin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The contents of /home/knoppix on the ISO more than likely came from /etc/skel when the user was created before the master ISO was made. The contents of /home/knoppix on a HD install come from /etc/skel on the cdrom you install from. That is if I read the knx-hdinstall-.038 (starts on line 1341) script file correctly.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    Have a look in the miniroot.gz this site will explain where to find it.
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...ighlight=#6902

    cheers
    ted
    ps I would love to have a turn around time of 30min mind is about 2.5 hrs

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3

    Can we have scan as the default option !

    ie. Press F2 to not scan local drives for swap file & home dir.

    This means I could add a little entry to the windows network login script to unzip a knoppix.swp file on to every hard drive - 60MB swap fits into 60KB if zipped before use - and like wise with knoppix.cfg.

    Then when I bring the CD to any PC, I'll have an Irish keyboard and the home page desktop will have shortcuts to all the stuff users expect to see on the network - and most importantly when the next revision comes out - I won't need to customise the CD.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    Just for others that may be looking to add or change stuff to the
    /home/knoppix/Desktop. The /home/knoppix/ directory is only created
    in the miniroot.gz linuxrc file (see previous post sorry ).

    A lot of stuff happens at:
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession

    found from:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352

    ciao
    ted

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:32 PM
  2. Replace default cd home drive with persistant home drive ???
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
  3. X-Chat Default download directory home?
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:50 PM
  4. Customize default knoppix boot options(knoppix home=scan etc
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 06:52 PM
  5. Default behavior of Knoppix
    By mag in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95