Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question After Successful HDD Install!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Question After Successful HDD Install!

    Yes I did it! I am dual booting Windows XP now with Knoppix 3.6. This is one sweet OS!! I intend to use it for my email and internet access instead of XP.

    I used a utility called Bootpart (boot loader) to create an entry in boot.ini an entry so I can boot Knoppix from my 2nd hard drive. This made it SO easy!!! Bootpart automagically creates the entry for you in your boot.ini file!!!!! It is a virtual NO BRAINER!!! This incidently is the utility that the old Corel Linux used when it was still in existence.

    When I boot up and Knoppix starts to load, I get a nice Knoppix screen with lots of options, the 2 kernels, and XP, etc.

    What I want to know is this: Is there a way to modify this Knoppix boot menu so that I can add "the expert mode" option? I assume there is a file to modify somewhere. Something similar to the lilo file? Or maybe it is the lilo file? I assume this would be easy if I knew where to look.

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Could you post your boot.ini file?

    Mabye its in there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Boot.ini file

    [Boot Loader]
    timeout=30
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    C:\BOOTPART\bootsect.lnx="Knoppix"

    This is my boot.ini file. So, it's some other place. At least it gives you a sample of what a boot.ini file looks like using the Bootpart utility.

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Answering My Own Question

    I found out the answer. Very simple.

    After I get the nice boot menu, I just press the tab key.

    The graphical interface menu changes to a command line boot prompt.

    I can type in any "cheat code" or boot option I want.

    I LOVE THIS OS!!!

    sakiZ

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Is there any similar utility able to handle W98, W98SE, and WinME?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Hi sakiZ, which file system is your XP running on? According to Bootpart web site Bootpart2.5 can only do FAT file system? I am hoping your XP OS is using NTFS as I am very interested in using the Bootpart program so that I won't mess up the "mbr" file should I need to delete/reinstall Knoppix.

    Ok, once I downloaded the bootpart zip file, unzip it then what do I do? (how do you install it)? Thanks for your help/feedback.

    My situation:
    HD#1 2 partitions all in NTFS , 1st partition W2K Pro OS, 2nd partition data files
    HD#2 2 partitions, 1st partition FAT32 (empty), 2nd partition NTFS data files

    I would like to use HD#2, 1st partition (15G) to install Knoppix V3.6 or V3.7

Similar Threads

  1. Add new user after successful HDD install?
    By monogram in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. Successful HDD install, root access?
    By wishkah in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 04:46 AM
  3. Kernel Panic - After successful install
    By Nataki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
  4. Successful install
    By HaroldK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
  5. Successful install
    By ndrake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00