Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: What brand of PC is best for linux?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Howdy again ...

    >>
    What other extra stuff should I turn off?
    >>

    Everything, then just turn things back on, one at
    a time, to see what happens. What problems may crop
    up, if any. It's just a technique to isolating
    things down.


    >>
    Maestro is my sound card, I think but I am not
    sure 100%.

    >>>>
    0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller:
    ESS Technology ES1968 Maestro 2
    Subsystem:
    Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device
    b0b8 Flags: bus master, medium devsel,
    latency 64, IRQ 5 I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 1
    >>>>

    It looks like an audio controller.



    >>
    I am new to linux so I just let the Knoppix 3.6 load
    what it wanted. I did not think that it would
    load things that could have causes the problem.
    >>


    Makes sense, aside from being a usable distro on
    a cd, Knoppix also demos a lot of the available
    software for Linux. So it makes sense, from that
    point of view to turn every thing on.

    Be advised though, the more stuff you have turned
    on, like all the "raid" stuff etc, that you have,
    going by your dump, if your not using it, or
    the required support dosen't exist on your system,
    it can cause conflicts. Mainly with when it comes
    to resource allocation. So it's good policy,
    that, if you arn't using it, then don't try to
    enable it. It can also open up security concerns
    as well.



    >>
    I tried the website but I am not sure how to
    find my modem there. I will look it over again.
    >>


    The listings will be based on the chipset used in
    the model. So you will need that information.

    If it's not on any documentation that came with
    your box, then you will need to take the cover
    off. And look at the card itself, with a torch
    and a magnifying glass most likely .

    But i really do think that your modem is a
    winmodem, and so will need to be replaced with
    a real one.

    Jumping distros, or getting a new brand of PC,
    won't fix it.

    Besides, the modem will be the cheaper option,
    i think


    jm

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    >>What did the 2.6 kernel problem turn out to
    >>be ?,

    I do not know. I just turn off acpi and it found my parrallel port and I can use the 2.6 kernel without problems. Not sure what the problem could be.

    Thanks for the help jjmac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Brand new disk, '/dev/hda is not a valid block device'
    By rollo11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
  2. Brand New
    By llwyd in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
  3. Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)
    By SCribbl3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
  4. Brand new... got a command prompt... now what?
    By Virulent in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. My brand NEW 3.2!
    By Mutant in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99