Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: What brand of PC is best for linux?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    What brand of PC is best for linux?

    I am wondering what brand of PC have people found to be the best for linux? I have compaq and I am finding some problems with linux on this brand.

    What brand works the best with linux?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    It not the brand that changes thing but rather the make/model of the hardware. Most of the time when you buy, say a mobo from an online store to build a PC with, its more compatable then one that you get when you buy a PC (more or less). Of course PCs from vendors work.

    What seems to be our problem?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Bring along your knoppix cd to any pc store and use it to test all the hardware.


  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311

    Re: What brand of PC is best for linux?

    The above post seems like a fairly straight foreward
    solution

    But ... kn2user, what kind of problems ?, hw
    recognition, i suppose ?

    jm

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    My problem is that Knoppix 3.6 can detect my modem but I can not use it.
    Here is the thread where I talk about the problem: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

    The other problem is Linux seems not to be able to find my parrallel port so I can not get my printer to work. People on the forum have suggest using http://localhost:631, which did not find my parrallel port. I tried kaddprinterwizard, which had the same problem.

    Another problem that my current pc has is that I can not use the 2.6 kernal because the pc does not shut down correctly and when I open some program they crash for no reason that I can see. I have been using kernal 2.4 that does not have these problems.


    So I decided to ask what brand or maybe I should have said what brand of pc has the best hardware to get linux to run the best. May be in the near future when I either win the lottery or get some cash saved up I might buy a new pc. I want get some info so that I would know at what brand of pc I should be looking at.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Hi kn2user,

    I just had a look at the link you posted to your
    other thread on your modem problem. There is a fair
    bit there to look over, but, for what it's worth,
    i'll have a study on that and get back to you in
    a day or so.


    Something i notice, you certainly have a lot of
    facilities being enabled at boot. Do you really
    need all that stuff enabled. Such as ACPI, USB,
    and what's maestro ?

    I'd turn most of it off, at least for the time
    being. Especially the ACPI, as that can be a problematic
    facility. You mention that the box dosen't power off
    correctly. That sounds like it ma be a ACPI quirk
    to me.

    Put "acpi=off" in your boot loader config somewhere
    appropriate, or apply it on the command line
    when you boot.

    The ___brand___ of PC isn't really the issue though.
    It just seems your configuration need a lot of
    soughting out.

    So, to start with, try and simplify it down as much
    as possible. Which means turning all those
    __extra__ facilities off. That helps to remove
    the maze, so that the modem problem can be fixed
    first. Then you could turn things back on, one
    at a time. You may then find a culpret, or
    then again not.

    As i mentioned i will get back after i've studied
    your post a bit better ...

    But, have a good read over those other posts,
    and the documentation on the link to

    "modem chipset compatabilities",

    as mentioned on that page.

    http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/
    winmodem.html#intro

    Quote:__________________________________

    Introduction

    So-called Winmodems, host-based, HCF-, HSP-, HSF-,
    controllerless, host-controlled, and soft modems
    require vendor-supplied software to do the work
    of proper hardware modems.

    Looks like, at first glance, you have a "winmodem".

    Not Good ... !

    Windows scams with manufactures in order to effect
    unfair control over the market by taking the
    smarts out of some modems, and then using Windows
    ___specific___ software drivers to run the modem.

    Then they hide behind the concept of Intellectual
    Property, to prevent other people having access to
    those drivers. Effectively, through the hardware, to
    tie the customer to their company/supplier.

    It would seem you have one of those.

    If you can't find a Linux driver for the chipset
    used in the modem you will have to get a __real__ modem.

    One that plugs in from outside the box and will
    work with anything, and likely give you no problems
    at all.

    Thiis is very typical of pre-fab boxes. And quite
    dishonest on the part of vendors in my opinion.

    So, read over that stuff.

    The HCF designation for your modem is saying that
    it dosen't have a controller !

    It wants software installed, to control it.
    And that will be Windows specific. most likely.

    You could be licky though, i hope so .

    Linux is detecting it, but can't do anything with
    it because it hasn't got any built in controller.

    The kernel thing, i'll have to read it over more.
    But i do knoppix 3.3, copied directly to disk,
    and run the 2.6.9 kernel with out any problems.

    Will get back


    jm

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    What other extra stuff should I turn off?

    Maestro is my sound card, I think but I am not sure 100%.

    I am new to linux so I just let the Knoppix 3.6 load what it wanted. I did not think that it would load things that could have causes the problem.

    I tried the website but I am not sure how to find my modem there. I will look it over again.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    kn2user, why not try 3.7 or kanotix? Kanotix is better suited for a hd install and for me it detected a few things better when configuring. I had some problems with 3.6 as well which made me move to a different version and/or distro.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    rrfish72, I want to find what the problem is and try to solve it because if I move to another distro I might have the same problem. I finally got linux to detect and to set up my printer, thanks to jjmac for the suggestion about turning off acpi. Also I can now use kernal 2.6 without problems so far. Now the ony thing that so far that I can not get to work is the modem. If I am not able to get it to work than I will try kantoix.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    kn2user, Howdy

    Glad to hear you got some things working. It seems
    acpi often gives problems if all of the required
    support isn't available. You certainly do
    have a lot of facilities being enabled at boot.
    I'd turn all that stuff off it it isn't been use
    myself.

    Thats a commen technique too, when problems arise.
    That is, turning every thing off, then turning
    things back on again, one at a time untill the culpret
    reveals itself.

    As for your "modem" problem ....

    It would seem that part of your query, has already
    been answered m8 , if you were to actually look
    over the previous posts.

    It is not the PC brand ...
    It is not the distro ...

    It's the modem it self, ie; it isn't a real modem ...

    It's a winmodem, and there not suppose to work, strange as that may seem ...

    Read on ...


    >>
    0000:00:04.0 Serial controller:
    Rockwell
    International HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem
    (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [8250])
    Subsystem:
    Compaq Computer Corporation 229-DF Zephyr
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
    Memory at 41100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 1
    >>


    Specifically the post given by "rustry".

    >>>>
    ----------
    rustry:
    ----------

    You might wan't to see if your modem is known
    to work under linux, check here:
    http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/
    pci_list.html

    In general pci modems are a pain, and I seem to
    remember that the HCF modems are especially so
    >>>>

    Thats tour problem, "HCF" ...

    "Host Controlled"


    Essentially, you have a winmodem, one, that by
    design, has been manufacture in such a way as
    to only work within Windows. All of the operational
    code that would normally be expected, to
    be found as firmware on a hw devices green
    board, has been remove. Rendering it little more than a dumb mechanism.

    The "HCF" part of its description above confirms
    this. And it basically stands for a modem that is
    controlled by the host. Meaning a windows host.

    You should have been provided with a cdrom when
    you got your box, containing the windows specific
    driver software for the device. If not, you are
    entitled to that software from the vendor.

    Winmodems are an extensive discussion in
    themselves, but you should find a number of
    informative links on the topic, if you do a google
    at http://www.google.com/linux

    Have a look at the lists on the page found via
    the already provided link in that post from
    "rusty". You will need the model number of your
    modem. That should be with the documentation
    that came with your box, or, it can be found on
    the card itself.

    If it's not listed as having drivers available,
    which it probably won't due to proprietary
    restrictions, you will have to go and get a
    "real" modem. They aren't that expensive really,
    and the reliability and openness of externals make
    them well worth it.

    You will also have the benefit of being able to
    unplugged it, which only the Windows spy-ware,
    you probably also got pre-installed with your box,
    will complain about .

    Oh yes, all the messages the system was coming up
    with, were the result of the system sending a message
    to the port, as something was detected there,
    but getting no reply. So it assumed it must be
    busy or locked etc. The reason that no reply came,
    of course, was because there was no firmware in
    the device to effect a reply

    What did the 2.6 kernel problem turn out to
    be ?, Just out of interest ?.

    Good Luck ...


    jm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brand new disk, '/dev/hda is not a valid block device'
    By rollo11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
  2. Brand New
    By llwyd in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
  3. Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)
    By SCribbl3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
  4. Brand new... got a command prompt... now what?
    By Virulent in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. My brand NEW 3.2!
    By Mutant in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00