Hmm, ok. I have just re-installed the debian Qemu package 0.6.1-1 and Windows 98. I have run this qemu command all the time:

qemu -m 128 -hda /home/andreas/qemu_win/virtual_disk.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -user-net -enable-audio

There are some BSOD messages during install, but the installation completes anyway.

Sound card is detected and functional (sb16). Nice.

There is a virtual network card detected (realtek rtl8029), which is attached to the TCP/IP interface. Running ipconfig in a command-line box tells me that there are three network cards (0,1,2). Number 2 has gotten an IP-number and a netmask (169.254.222.52/255.255.0.0), but no gateway. Number 0 and 1 are not configurated at all (0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0), and probably part of some NDIS/VPN stuff. Internet is not reachable anyway. Darn.

Do I need to change any NAT configurations in Qemu? Add a gateway from within windows?

Screen resolution and color depth can be increased, but the boot procedure fails miserably with anything over 640x480x16. It gives me some draconic protection error. Sad.

Are the possible settings somehow connected to the X-server? Maybe my laptop BIOS/Radeon 9200 is causing some problem...

What do you think about some other Windows versions? I have licences for Windows 98 and XP? Is 95 or 2000 more compatible? Is it even worth trying XP? I mean, I could just abandon the whole thing and dual boot instead... But that would be taking the easy way out

Thank you for all your help!

/Andreas