Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Doesn't detect USB-memory in presens of SCSI-disk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16

    Doesn't detect USB-memory in presens of SCSI-disk

    Hi!

    I have tried the new feature to have a persistent home-directory on USB-memory and I love the featuere... however I have a problem... It works on most computers I've tried it on but not on my own computer. The USB-memory isn't detected and hence there is no partition to mount as my home-direrctory. I have checked and the usb-storage module isn't loaded.

    The only diffrence I have found between my computer and the ones it works on is that I have a SCSI-disk and it occupies the designation /dev/sda I have tried to specify /dev/sdb1 for the USB-memory but since it isn't even detected there is nothing to mount.

    How do I solve this? Is there a way to force the loading of the usb-storage module? something else?
    Any help is appriciated.

    /LinuxSam

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Doesn't detect USB-memory in presens of SCSI-disk

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxSam
    Is there a way to force the loading of the usb-storage module?

    /LinuxSam
    modprobe usb-storage

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    LOL that much I knew...

    let me rephrase... Is there a way to force loading of the usb-storage module during bootup.
    so that It will detect ethe USB-memory before it is about to mount the home directory.

    /LinuxSam

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxSam
    LOL that much I knew...
    /LinuxSam
    Oh - hehe

    /etc/modules

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    I know how to force the load of modules in a regular Linux system...

    so what you say is I have to edit the Knoppix Image itself???

    /LinuxSam

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxSam
    I know how to force the load of modules in a regular Linux system...

    so what you say is I have to edit the Knoppix Image itself???
    I don't think editing the CD will help much. USB should be detected at boottime. Or does modprobeing really help? Then you might try adding it to knoppix.sh for example.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25
    If i understand thing right you use a scsi configuration.
    You have only one harddisk and this is a scsi disk...right ?

    Before you blame the scsi controller u should try to boot without the scsi controller and harddisk.
    If the USB memorystick still doesn't function then the problem lays elsewhere.

    If the memorystick does function after testing without scsi then there's your problem.
    Make sure evreything is alright, terminators installed etc.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    This is my situation...

    I have a Debian testing/unstable system... and the USB-memory works really nice... it is detected when I plug it in ( USB-storage compiled into the kernel) and I have no problems with it... it is detected at /dev/sdb since I allready have one scsi-disk. ( a real one that is /dev/sda)

    but when I try to boot Knoppix on my system the USB-memory is not detected. and since it is not detected I can not mount it as my home directory.

    If I, when knoppix has booted, run modprobe usb-storage the USB-memory is available for mounting but that is to late to use it as my home-directory.

    My system is like this:

    AMD XP1500+
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256Mb DDR
    2 x 80 Gb WD harddrives (hda and hdd)
    1 x 40 Gb IBM harddrive (hdc)
    1 x 18,3 Gb IBM UltraStar SCSI (sda)
    1 x DVD-rom ( hdb)
    1 x PlexWriter SCSI (sr1)
    1 x Plextor Ultraplex SCSI (sr0)
    Tekram DC-390F (SCSI-card)
    PoV Geforce3 Ti200 128Mb DDR
    AOpen AW744 (soundcard)
    bt878-based TV-card (Hauppage)

    I hope this cleared things up a bit.

    /LinuxSam

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25
    Hmmm.....that's strange.

    Do you use an onboard scsi controller or the 'real' thing ?
    Does the controller has it's own bios ?
    It has been a while since i used scsi under linux, but i do know that an onboard bios/firmware can cause you a lot of troubles....on the other hand Debian doen't seem to have a problem.....
    You have a stange combination of components installed i must say

    Try to change the scsi id of the harddisk.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    The SCSI-controller is "the real thing" and it has it's own BIOS. Have also updated to the latest firmware for the SCSI-card.

    And what is so strange with the hardware I've got?

    /LinuxSam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3.81 does not detect /home on my USB memory key
    By JeffBonn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 05:37 AM
  2. Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
    By Blisset in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:50 PM
  3. How to auto-detect Smart Array disk controller
    By BillyBobber in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:09 PM
  4. Machine with SCSI disk
    By tjcw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 10:16 PM
  5. Install on SCSI-Disk
    By Fritz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW) picture

Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW)

$330.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99