Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HD install on a small HD (1.4Gb)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    HD install on a small HD (1.4Gb)

    Sorry if this information is in another post, but the Documentation link isn't working, and I'm too lazy to trawl...

    Although I'm not a complete newbie to linux (I can cope with using a shell...) how might I install Knoppix on the HD of my ageing laptop? It runs OK from the CD, and the X server runs ok - so I know it does work.

    The beast (!) is an old Compaq Armada 1530:
    48Mb RAM, and a 1.4Gb HDD.
    (Pentium MMX for those interested)

    I have tried using knoppix-install, but it demands 2Gb!!! (Some of us still live in a land where 512Mb was the HDD size, and RAM was counted in kilobytes, those were the days...)

    Are there any params I can pass to knoppix-install to persuade it not to install everything (I can do without fancy Windowmanagers and the like, although a functional office suite would be nice)

    Many thanks for any help!

    Edit: I suspect a poor man's install is what is needed, but as I said earlier, the Documentation server is out of action....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    A poorman's install is easy to do; you need about 750 Meg (one Cd size) of free space then just boot your knoppix disk with bootcode 'knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1'. Then to start your tohd install boot with bootcode 'knoppix fromhd=scan'. You can also set up lilo on your HD to boot without the CD but that is a bit more complex & should wait until the docs are back up.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    I have a similar issue. I was just given an older ThinkPad and want to install Knoppix. It's hard drive is just under 2GB and the installer won't let me go forward with the install. Is there a way to pick and choose some of the application and get past the installer warning? I tried the suggested IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer but it brings up a list of what it's going to do (I think) and then when I click next, I get back to a blank prompt. Weird.

    I know that I can do a poor-man's install (and I've done that) but it's just too darn slow. Any suggestions? I've also tried VectorLinux and Slackware installs, but they both are choking and not functional. Knoppix works both from the cd and the poor man's install. I just want to do a full install. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix HD Install - Small Problem re. other program - help!
    By mentalalien2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 08:06 PM
  2. HD too small
    By brazilian in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 06:10 PM
  3. Small hard drive install
    By JaVelin >X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:24 AM
  4. How to install Knoppix on small HDD (1GB) ?
    By nizki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 03:19 PM
  5. Small nix
    By .-=Ronin=-. in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00